Helpful link if you are scrounging firewood within your state - need to self certify it's origin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I was not aware until I stumbled on this link Moving Firewood that in some states (NY and CT and possibly others) you are required to "self certify" you are complying with state law when transporting firewood.

Looks like in my state of MA it's still on the honor system but not in other states, they want paperwork.

My guess is if someone from the town saw tons of wood on a homeowner lot they might want to see the paperwork.

I just realized this should probably be moved to the Woodshed forum.

NY Certification.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been a thing in Michigan for at least the last 15 years but I never had to fill out a form. Also never moved it more than 50 miles. If I had to haul my wood that far the cost of gas would barely make it worth it.

I agree, 50 miles would be crazy for scrounging.

The form seems like a pain but I guess they are just trying to ratchet things up since there have been so many infestations lately.