HEPA filters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One thing I've noticed is that air filtration systems are like printers in that the lifetime ownership expense is mostly in the consumables. Check the price of replacement filters before you commit.

Be very sure that the filter is actually washable. That’s weird. Like washing a regular automotive air filter.

Be very sure that the filter is actually washable. That’s weird. Like washing a regular automotive air filter.
Many aftermarket and performance filters use fabric rather than paper and are washable. I assume these cloth filters when new are probably not as good at filtering, but after they have gotten a bit dirty they should be just as good as any paper filter. Many folks like the K&N oiled filters, but they have consistently show to let a dangerous, for your engine, amounts of particulates through the filter.

Reactions: semipro
The Winix we just got has 3 filters - a washable prefilter, much like a dryer lint filter, a charcoal filter that ?might? be washable, and the pleated Hepa filter that is not washable.

Reactions: sloeffle
The Winix we just got has 3 filters - a washable prefilter, much like a dryer lint filter, a charcoal filter that ?might? be washable, and the pleated Hepa filter that is not washable.

Same as mine. That HEPA filter is expensive.

4 kids and a big poodle and not a rug or carpet in the house. We don’t live in a dusty climate.

I use these for hvac filters. Being limited to 1” thick filters I feel that anything higher is just too restrictive. I use a washable 5$ scotchbrite pre filter. I can go about an entire cooling season on one filter. And they don’t see much use in the winter.

Nordic Pure 20x30x1 MERV 12 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filters 6 Pack Amazon product ASIN B005ESPI78
We run two of these. They are very quite on low. I use wa washable window ac prefilter they have the charcoal filters too. I wash the hepa filters every time it tells me to change them. First filter lasted 4 years. We call them the fart detectors. On a real smokey reload they ramp up to high and can be loud. But most of the time they stay on low

Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter Amazon product ASIN B01D8DAYII
You can spend a lot of money on filtration but this seems to work reasonably well for not a huge up front and consumable cost.
Evan
Thanks for the available links , I won't have to search long.;ex

I just replaced our heat pump's filters. There is a 1" MERV8 prefilter and a 4" MERV13 filter. Most years the system doesn't run during the dead of winter as we are using the wood stove. But last summer I ran the fan continuously on low speed during a period of serious smoke from wildfires. Normally the 4" filter goes about 3 yrs and is only slightly dirty at that point. This time, with 15 months on it, it was a dark gray :( Well, at least it did its job.

I ended up buying a Winix 5500-2. I was curious on the electrical consumption and hooked up my killawatt meter to it. On auto/low fan it uses only 5 watts!