Here's the pics and the proof...it has happened...1st cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lake Girl,

Yes, The wood and steel bracket to the left of the stove is weight bearing big time. There are two 50" apart O.C. (on center). The other is to the left of the one you see in the pics. One picks up bearing in that wall line and the other picks up bearing in a 90* or perpendicular wall and roof line. I welded two large C - channels together there forming a 8" x 8" square box beams at both locations which carries the second floor and roof loads. Did it out of steel because they span 24' and 32' ft. and I could not find timbers big enough and long enough. Being straight and reasonably priced was out of the question also. The 90* beam is 32' ft. long. They also sit on an 8" square wood timber posts right behind what you see. I come up with the insane ideas and a friend (a structural engineer stamps the stuff) but he will not unless it meets or exceeds requirements. Unless, I feed him lots of beers of course..... :confused:.

It is all open to below and these lines used to be an exterior bearing walls that I took out. I more or less restructured the existing home and built another around it. Above the stove it goes up two stories all open with a vaulted ceiling. Real fun changing bulbs and cleaning the ceiling fans up there. NOT! I also had to drive the point home with my better half that she can pick the colors, whatever she wants, but she had better get it right the first time because I was only going to paint it once. She did well. I have a feeling I will be doing it again before the holidays. It's about due and I am still finishing things anyway. She has sprung a color chance...... Yet. Our other home sold quicker than planned and we had to shot gun into here 5 years ago. I bought the property almost 13 years ago and originally was a man cave with room to roam inside and out. This project went from no pressure to get it done yesterday. Then I get busy and it gets put on hold again. Vicious cycle! I am taking some time off to get it done though.

Lots of work ... money and time. Do you ever wonder if it would have been better to start all over? I know we still do but it has served us well for 20 years and survived 6 kids! Understand how your stuff is last on the list - hubby, former commercial diver, is just getting around to reinstalling our water line into the lake (2 year old internal heat trace quit last February that we figured hadn't worked all winter with lots more of -50C than we normally get). Redundant heat traces, insulation and recirculating line so shouldn't happen again. I was out moving sand from the pit with him for the last couple of days so it can get buried again ...

I hear you on the beams - hubby rebuilt some government wharves on Lake of the Woods and they spec'd treated douglas fir. Can't remember the dimensions off hand but large and they were very pricey.

At times I have wondered. It has been never ending work here but it's paying off. Just the simple maintenance: Grass, leaves, snow removal, cutting up fallen trees, etc; is a full time job here. Last winter was brutal for around here and I was working out of town. She was ready for a condo after that. LOL! Never going to happen until I am way older at least.

Your wife sounds like she can roll with a lot of that ... Just make sure she has the equipment she needs to work with when your gone. We know have a Kubota that cuts the grass, can load the gravel needed to smooth out the drive (among other things), and has the snow blower. Makes my life simpler as the hubby puts in long days or is out of town lots. He says he bought it for himself ... but the neighbors know she's mine!;lol

I do set her up well. I take care of most things outside work wise. Last winter all she had to do was load the wheel barrow 2-3 times a day and roll the dry inside the barn wood right out to the OWB not far away. We have a 4wd Kubota with many attachments here but she never gets on it. The snow blower attachment would be nice but I clear snow with the front loader and rear blade or the quad depending on how much snow. It is a hit and miss with the snow here. Some winters we get pounded (last year) and I wish I had the blower set up and the next winter we get a couple of dustings total.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.