Heritage Restoration Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

finke67

Dec 1, 2011
DSM, IA
After lurking for a while I thought I'd post a question. I am new to wood stoves and really want to get a soapstone stove for my future house (not as the main heat source, but rather a something complimentary for the open living areas). While looking on classifieds I found a used Heritage Stove for $400 that needs a little TLC. Seems like a good price and might be worth jumping on and storing until I can use it.

Seller states that it is only surface rust, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger as there may be other parts I would have to replace. I don't want to end up dropping money into it to a point where I could have bought new and saved my time. Do you think this is worth trying to restore? Have you any experience taking Heritage stoves apart to remove rust?

Thank you.

Attachments

• wood stove for sale-b006.jpg
    wood stove for sale-b006.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 202
it is not a heritage it look like a HS II

Sorry, but I would not pay that much, but then, I would not want that stove either. Looks like a lot of work will need to be done for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry, but I would not pay that much, but then, I would not want that stove either. Looks like a lot of work will need to be done for sure.

I agree. That stove in good shape is barely worth $400.

I must have just thought it was a Heritage, upon rereading it didn't actually list model type.
Thank you. I will keep looking.

A "little" TLC . . . a "little" bit of an understatement.

I think you're wise to keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.