Heritage side loading door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nortcan

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec
I changed the rope gasket on the side door for my Heritage 8024 T.Hybrid. I put a new1/2 inc. gasket as said in the tech. sheet. But the door was almost impossible to be closed , I had to use an unusual force to be able to lock it and that after adjusting the latch as loose as I could. I removed the 1/2 gasket replaced it with a 3/8 new but the door was as hard to close as with the 1/2. I went to the Hearthstone dealer and got an other 3/8 but black, the dealer told me that one would be softer than the other ones. Same thing with the black one , just a little less hard to close the door but still a lot too hard, impossible for my wife to even try it. I changed a lot of seals on different stoves and never got any problem. I changed the seal on the front door of this stove and had no problem. Now, having no good result with the black 3/8, I decided a very curious thing : use a 1/4 rope gasket. So I removed the 3/8 and installed the 1/4 one. The door is easy to close and the latch works correctly. So, having try blak and white gaskets, 1/2, 3/8 and now 1/4 size, what could be the problem? Before and after changing the gaskets I tried many latch adjusments but without good result. Someone know the secret to my problem ?