hi all.......newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack9211

Nov 28, 2015
Jackman, Maine
good day all.....my name is jack & I live in jackman, maine. I just retired in October. I am trying to decide if we should go with a pellet stove, so I have been reading a lot of posts on this site. I am burning wood now. have a real nice wood stove, but I am tired of the work involved. it does get cold here for long periods at a time, and we get a lot of snow. that is a pain trudging into the snow to retrieve wood.

logging here is a huge business & you would think firewood would be readily available.....but that's not the case. pellets however are. ranging from 189 to 239 per ton. anyway, we are used to it being 70-75 degrees here with the stove working, and don't want to give that up......will I achieve that same heat with a pellet stove ? I sure won't miss worrying about feeding the wood stove when I want to hunt or ice fish....

thanks for being here and for the tons of info

Reactions: Marina1327
good day all.....my name is jack & I live in jackman, maine. I just retired in October. I am trying to decide if we should go with a pellet stove, so I have been reading a lot of posts on this site. I am burning wood now. have a real nice wood stove, but I am tired of the work involved. it does get cold here for long periods at a time, and we get a lot of snow. that is a pain trudging into the snow to retrieve wood.

logging here is a huge business & you would think firewood would be readily available.....but that's not the case. pellets however are. ranging from 189 to 239 per ton. anyway, we are used to it being 70-75 degrees here with the stove working, and don't want to give that up......will I achieve that same heat with a pellet stove ? I sure won't miss worrying about feeding the wood stove when I want to hunt or ice fish....

thanks for being here and for the tons of info

Hi Jack...welcome. I don't have any experience with wood stoves but my pellet stove keeps my house at 75 in the room the stove is and over 70 in the rest of the house....it's been down to 22 degrees, which is the coldest I have tested it out so far, but I have no doubt that it can handle tempatures much colder as that was only on setting 2.

Reactions: Jack9211
Im quite familiar with Jackman. I go fishing in the area every spring.

It is going to depend on the layout and square footage of your home. Is it air tight? or does it have leaks around windows door etc. Pellet stoves do require work in stacking pellets getting pellets to put in cleaning your stove ashes on a regular basis and a thorough cleaning after about every ton of pellets burned.
There is a learning curve involved sometimes a steep one depending on what you buy.

welcome to the madness!!:cool:

Welcome to the forum!

Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind, is if ou have a lot, or prolonged, power outages, a pellet stove will not keep you place warm like a woodstove unless it is on a generator (and with that, some are picky on the type of "wave" produced by said generator.

If your house is fairly open concept, without cathedral ceilings, it would probably be much like a wood stove. If it is cut up, has high ceilings, or other vagueries, then it may not do as good a job as you would like. It might help if you describe your layout and sq/footage. How many levels, insulated slab/un-insulated slab/unfinished (or finished) basement/crawl space. It has been shown on this forum that what works for one person, may not work for another with very similar setups, so just be aware we can't give you a definitive anser, just our own experiences..

There is still work, as others have mentioned, but no bugs or other critters invading fuel and no splinters either :)

Reactions: rona
Welcome to the forum!

Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind, is if ou have a lot, or prolonged, power outages, a pellet stove will not keep you place warm like a woodstove unless it is on a generator (and with that, some are picky on the type of "wave" produced by said generator.

If your house is fairly open concept, without cathedral ceilings, it would probably be much like a wood stove. If it is cut up, has high ceilings, or other vagueries, then it may not do as good a job as you would like. It might help if you describe your layout and sq/footage. How many levels, insulated slab/un-insulated slab/unfinished (or finished) basement/crawl space. It has been shown on this forum that what works for one person, may not work for another with very similar setups, so just be aware we can't give you a definitive anser, just our own experiences..

There is still work, as others have mentioned, but no bugs or other critters invading fuel and no splinters either :)

thank you.......the wood is year round work.......I understand I have to move pellets, etc....way easier than the wood for sure. it's a mobile home with an addition. the addition is the laundry room, the oil furnace, and the wood/pellet stove. it will be vented into a brick chimney. and the OAK will just go through the wall. it's a very open layout with a bedroom at either end. one is closed unless we have guests. it is not completely airtight yet, and that's why I will use the outside air kit. should be a pretty easy installation as everything is there already.
I am pretty well convinced to go with the timber ridge 55-TRPIP......the only drawback is having it shipped. would like to buy local but the only choice here is a pelpro pp130. the price difference is about 100 bucks if I go for the timber ridge in a 2nd (blemishes) oh....about 900 square feet total on the place.

thank you.......the wood is year round work.......I understand I have to move pellets, etc....way easier than the wood for sure. it's a mobile home with an addition. the addition is the laundry room, the oil furnace, and the wood/pellet stove. it will be vented into a brick chimney. and the OAK will just go through the wall. it's a very open layout with a bedroom at either end. one is closed unless we have guests. it is not completely airtight yet, and that's why I will use the outside air kit. should be a pretty easy installation as everything is there already.
I am pretty well convinced to go with the timber ridge 55-TRPIP......the only drawback is having it shipped. would like to buy local but the only choice here is a pelpro pp130. the price difference is about 100 bucks if I go for the timber ridge in a 2nd (blemishes) oh....about 900 square feet total on the place.

My son has that stove and it works well. I burned wood for some time and made the move to a pellet stove last year. I wouldn't go back to a wood stove and I liked burning wood.

Reactions: bogieb

Sounds like it would work well for you. Keep in mind, that most stoves require an OAK to be used if installed in a mobile home - so even if you get it tight, you don't want to remove it (not sure if that was the plan for later, just putting it out there).

Oh, and some stoves aren't rated for mobile homes at all - unsure which ones though. Look at the install manual on-line to make sure before you buy.

Sounds like it would work well for you. Keep in mind, that most stoves require an OAK to be used if installed in a mobile home - so even if you get it tight, you don't want to remove it (not sure if that was the plan for later, just putting it out there).

Oh, and some stoves aren't rated for mobile homes at all - unsure which ones though. Look at the install manual on-line to make sure before you buy.
thank you.....both I am looking at are approved.....I do plan on leaving the OAK installed.

According to its manual, the timber ridge 55-TRPIP is rated for mobile home use, as long as you use an OAK, so you are okay there. So is the Pelpro.

thank you.....both I am looking at are approved.....I do plan on leaving the OAK installed.
You answered just before I posted the approvals :)

I made the switch this year from wood to wood pellets. Decided I was over hauling wood all winter long, plus the stove was in need of replacing, so invested in a nice Quad E2. I just hauled in 3 ton into the basement yesterday with 1 more ton to go, then I'm done. Not going to start up the Kubota to haul any more wood in the cold and snow, the pellets are stacked and ready to use clean and dry. I've got 2K sq. ft. open concept and the heat is great. I keep the ceiling fan on low, down blowing and it circulates the air nicely. The only complaint is the stove is in the living room next to where I sit and you need to turn the volume up on the TV over the blower. Good Luck

After a winter worth of pellet stove use, it takes a while for me to get used to the quiet again.

Reactions: Peterfield
I made the switch this year from wood to wood pellets. Decided I was over hauling wood all winter long, plus the stove was in need of replacing, so invested in a nice Quad E2. I just hauled in 3 ton into the basement yesterday with 1 more ton to go, then I'm done. Not going to start up the Kubota to haul any more wood in the cold and snow, the pellets are stacked and ready to use clean and dry. I've got 2K sq. ft. open concept and the heat is great. I keep the ceiling fan on low, down blowing and it circulates the air nicely. The only complaint is the stove is in the living room next to where I sit and you need to turn the volume up on the TV over the blower. Good Luck
Edson, how do u like the E2? I'm deciding between that and the AE model

Hey Jack! Welcome. I switched from 100% wood heat last fall to pellet stoves. Overall it is much, much easier. I like wood heat but it does have many issues and requires a lot of work. Time was my worst enemy for processing firewood. You will be happy with the heat a pellet stove can put out.

Some stoves just blow the heat out via a distribution blower and some radiate a lot of heat like a wood stove and distribute heat too with a blower. This is the style I went with because I wanted the maximum amount of heat possible. Looks like you have some really good and cold winters up there so keep that in mind while researching stoves. Good looking pup there by the way.

There are many stoves that will fit your bill. Read up here about stoves you are interested in by plugging them into the search bar above. There are oodles of threads on about every stove made. No matter which one you choose there will be others here to help you with any issues or questions. And lastly, keep your cold temps up there. We are plenty good down here on the cold. LOL! It has been mild fall and cold season here thus far. Just hoping we don't pay for it come January and Feb.

Welcome, We're new to the pellets last year. Got a stove that had the ability to kick it up if it was cold and do so in a hurry. We also got it because a of large hopper, able to hold three bags when full. 3 bags = 3 days not needing to feed stove, or three days before propane heat kicks on and burns $$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.