Hi All

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RobbieB

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2017
Central CA
First post, just signed up, just installed an Osburn 1100 insert in my existing zero clearance fireplace. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it. So much better than that fireplace that just sent the heat up the chimney.

Burnt 4th fire last night and think I'll fire one tonight too. Loving it!

I'm retired and live in the central valley of CA.

Reactions: ddddddden
Welcome to the world of modern high efficiency wood stoves. They are great, aren't they?
What kind of wood are you burning there in California?

First post, just signed up, just installed an Osburn 1100 insert in my existing zero clearance fireplace
Welcome, wood burning is a passion and can have a love hate relationship.
A couple questions, how did you install the insert in the zero clearance fire place? Most zero clearance units wont allow another appliance to be installed in them. Do you have the name / model of the zero clearance unit? Also the chimney, what type due you have? Some zero clearance units (builders grade) use minimum chimney types that are only made for that specific unit (ansi tested, usually rated at only 1,000 deg f) since that particular fireplace unit was tested / designed only to have ambiance fires for short deration times (think thanksgiving / x-mas morning stuff)
Wood burning stove / insert needs an approved class a chimney that can with stand high out put temps for long periods of time or worse case scenario a chimney fire.
I'm not trying to sound like a troll here, safety is paramount and I as well as other members only want to see you successful, so please check and make sure your starting out on the right note with a proper install.

I was about to ask the same questions that kenny did

I have a bunch of install pics and a long tale to post with it. I almost gave up. In fact I did give up and called an install shop but they told me the same thing, you can't install an insert in a zero clearance, not enough room. I know, liability issues and all. But I want to use the thing for "romance and ambiance and just to look at the dancing flames", not as the primary heat source for my house. That is an 80,000 BTU/hr natural gas condensing furnace with 95% efficiency. I just want the romance w/o paying the price of a cold room and house because all the heat is going up the chimney and taking all the warm air in the house with it.

Anyway I'll start a new thread with all the details and you guys can look it over and tell me what you think. This was just a "hi guys" intro - :)

You can keep the thread, a mod can amend the title if you choose.

As to the wood, I am such a "power user" that the smallest six dollar shrink wrapped bundle of "California Hot Wood" at the grocery store will last me more than 1 day.

I'm really just into it for the romance - :)

I'm burning fire number six as we speak. I lit it at 2:00 and I'm letting it burn out now, no more fuel. Stove got the hottest ever, 500 degrees. Paint smell is diminishing with each burn. Blower on, stove top at 425 room temp up seven degrees. Nice!

As to the wood, I am such a "power user" that the smallest six dollar shrink wrapped bundle of "California Hot Wood" at the grocery store will last me more than 1 day. . .
I don't know what California Hot Wood is(a movie?;lol) but if you don't mind paying for primo fuel, you might want to try some recycled sawdust blocks (BioBrick, EcoBrick, etc.)

Yes, I see you are on the other coast and this place is right up the road from me.

32982986806_04c0e21b19_o.jpg

A small bundle, very dry and clean, six bucks. Romance (and heat) for a whole day - :)

As to the wood, I am such a "power user" that the smallest six dollar shrink wrapped bundle of "California Hot Wood" at the grocery store will last me more than 1 day.

I'm really just into it for the romance - :)

I'm burning fire number six as we speak. I lit it at 2:00 and I'm letting it burn out now, no more fuel. Stove got the hottest ever, 500 degrees. Paint smell is diminishing with each burn. Blower on, stove top at 425 room temp up seven degrees. Nice!
What fireplace is it in? I am glad you are enjoying your new insert but chances are it is not code compliant.

A Marco DWF36. 30 years old, no longer in business. Double pipe straight flue, a 8 inch inside a 12 inch. Flue good and I had a sweep out to clean it before the install. Only repairs needed were replacement of the cracked cast refractory panels which now have to be custom made.

I don't need no panels anymore. I have a label instead - :)

31321077035_5b5bcb6d94.jpg

Romance can be expensive / dangerous and make a guy do foolish things, no matter what age they are. Make sure you have working smoke detectors.
Read up on pyrolysis, so you can understand why your chimney chase is at risk for catching fire if you don't have / haven't confirmed that class a chimney pipe installed.

A Marco DWF36. 30 years old, no longer in business. Double pipe straight flue, a 8 inch inside a 12 inch. Flue good and I had a sweep out to clean it before the install. Only repairs needed were replacement of the cracked cast refractory panels which now have to be custom made.
Yeah in the marco manual it clearly says you cant use any accessories not listed for use with their fireplace so no your install is not compliant. Do you even have an insulated liner in it?

I don't need no panels anymore. I have a label instead - :)
Yes you do I read the osburn instructions and quite honestly the fact that they tell you that it is ok to remove the refractory panels is downright dangerous. No matter what the osburn manual says it does not cancel out the marco manual. And putting a tag on a listed appliance does not allow you to alter it and still use it.