Hi im new here! I have a question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lrwest23

Feb 15, 2020
New york
Hello everyone! I have had my pellet stove just over 2 years. Got it in Dec 2017. I have an England Smart Stove 25-CB120. This winter I have noticed I am cleaning it out way more than I should this past week. I have been cleaning it out EVERYDAY. I never had to do this before, use to be every 2 -3 days. The burn pot also gets pretty full, one of the reasons why I have to clean it every day. I clean it out really good and I mean clean everything. I clean out the chimney as well once a month. I've taken off the side panels clean the back once a month. We have replaced the gaskets on the window. We have replaced and cleaned the combustion blower. And we used the same pellets since we bought the pellet stove.
So I'm kind of at a lost on why it is doing this? Any ideas or help would be great!

Pellets change, I had to switch up to a different supplier, I was getting spongy stiff black ash this year building up in the burn pot after 20 hours, if I left it for 2 bags it most likely would cause a fire hazard as the fire gets closer to the pellet chute, whereas the other pellets I'm using now requires no emptying of the burn pot even after 3-4 days, it blows the burn pot almost clean although it produces more ash and fly ash, the ash ends up in the ash bin instead of building up in the burn pot. I tried opening the damper wide open to see if that would help and there was no change just a colder stove, now I have the damper half way closed lots of heat and I don't need to open the door for 3-4 days just to do a sweep. I found my larger stove was able to expel most of the spongy black ash out of the burn pot as it has a combi blower on the intake and exhaust but I was still getting an ash build up even with it but not nearly as bad, my smaller stove couldn't expel the black ash from the burn pot and created a dangerous situation if left unattended and not cleaned out after every bag burnt.

As Above pellets change a lot of people are finding the pellets they have used for years
are not doing the job this year. Try a few bags of other brands until you find one that works for you