Hickory Fireworks Excitement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Had put a load of hickory in at lunch today and got home late tonight and went to push the coals forward to burn them down before the overnight load. I always get a lot sparking with hickory but tonight was an amazing display with sparks shooting out like crazy. I quickly shut the door and made sure I got all of the burning material off of me and a few seconds later, started smelling smoke. Checked myself again to make sure my clothes weren't burning but the smell was quickly getting stronger.

I turned around and the wastebasket behind me (4 feet from the stove and completely blocked by my body), which had the paper towels that I had used to clean my glass a couple days ago, had started burning! Made a quick dash outside, dumped the paper towels out and started stomping. I definitely won't be putting the wastebasket there again!!

Close one!

I had a hickory coal pop and get my carpet a month or so ago. I could smell it, I was looking all around the stove and didn't see anything, looked behind me about 4' and a hole about the size of a dime was smoldering away. Carpet could use replacing so I'm not too upset about it.

Whew! Close call, eh?

I've been burning almost straight hickory for the past several days. I have a top loader and sometimes it gets looking like Vesuvius coming out the top of the stove. I keep my kindling about 4-5 feet away. I always watch it after I close the lid and come back to check it a bit later. After reading that escapade, I think I'll go back down and check it one more time before going to bed.

Hickory is King AFAIC. Like white ash on steroids.

I put wood in and was mixing it up. I guess some was not to dry so the popping came. I thought I had all the ambers but could still smell something. There was nothing on the floor than I realized it was my shorts burning.

Hickory is sneaky. I have a couple of holes in the carpet to show from last year's hickory in the stove. This year, I
bought a cheap hearth rug to lay in front of the stove. I haven't burned hardly any hickory this year, and no damage to
the hearth rug or carpet around it.

I guess I'm burning it for you! ;-) Thanks, buddy!!

When our house was built they had to drop about a dozen large hickory trees to get our driveway in, that was all we burned the first two years in our regular fire place.. carpet developed a few bits of "character" before we got a hearth rug. The stove install is going to get rid of most of them.. but some are 60" out from the fireplace.. only new carpet will fix them..lol

Glad you got ahead of that one Wendell. Just think if someone would have done that and was in a hurry, closed the door and went to another area of the house or outside. That could have been total disaster!

Boy, howdy! I was thinking that or if it wouldn't have started quite so quickly and I had already gone to bed. That is the wastebasket where I also put all of the bark and other stuff that falls off the wood so it would've had plenty to burn. Never would've dreamed a spark could travel that far, especially since to get there, it had to ricochet off the wall but as others have mentioned, you can't be too careful.

All this hickory and not a steak to be seen. What a waste!

tiber said:
All this hickory and not a steak to be seen. What a waste!
+1. think I'm gonna fire up the 'Q and cok up some rib eyes. its a balmy 35 for a high, perfect to cook in! headed to the butcher, back in a few!

Haven't been lucky enough to burn hickory, but mulberry can sure lie in wait like that.
Burning nice, quiet and red in a coal log until you open the door for reload. It sends
sparks into the room that explode once they get out of the stove. 4th of July display.

Status
Not open for further replies.