High Efficiency Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mel O

Jan 23, 2017
Moose Factory, Ontario
In doing some online pellet stoves, I came across a pellet stove that was sufficiently efficient that it used PVC pipe for the exhaust and not a chimney.

Unfortunately I was not able to rediscover this unit when I went back to look. Can any of you provide a link to the company. The stove was round, like a barrel stove with no window on the flame.

One of the significant costs of installing a stove is the chimney which must go up, perhaps through two floor and a roof. PVC would be much less expensive and also provide more heat per unit of pellet.

With thanks

I have never seen a pellet stove that uses PVC for the exhaust... exhaust is too hot. House fires have started this way due to an improper install (someone using venting not rated for pellet stove). As to exhaust cost, you should look at a stove that can use a horizontal install. For my stove, I have the stove adapter, 3' section that travels through the thimble and a turbo cap on the end. Even the stoves that require a rise, it is only 3'. A clean out "t" would connect the horizontal to vertical sections outside. Installation of an outside air kit (OAK) is recommended for all installs so another $60 +/- which means you can skip the vertical rise for the USSC stoves.

What stoves have you been looking at? Size of house?

Given your location, pellet supply would come in on the train to Moosonee?

H
I have never seen a pellet stove that uses PVC for the exhaust... exhaust is too hot. House fires have started this way due to an improper install (someone using venting not rated for pellet stove). As to exhaust cost, you should look at a stove that can use a horizontal install. For my stove, I have the stove adapter, 3' section that travels through the thimble and a turbo cap on the end. Even the stoves that require a rise, it is only 3'. A clean out "t" would connect the horizontal to vertical sections outside. Installation of an outside air kit (OAK) is recommended for all installs so another $60 +/- which means you can skip the vertical rise for the USSC stoves.

What stoves have you been looking at? Size of house?

Given your location, pellet supply would come in on the train to Moosonee?

Hi Lake Girl

(Boy do I like your handle). I found the ad for this particular stove which uses a PVC exhaust and read everything on the website, but when I went to find it again, I had no luck, and hence my post. It must use a fairly radical design to not need a chimney, similar to super efficient natural gas furnaces.

Pellets are available on Moose Factory Island from GGs. They cost $500 for a pallet (62 50-pound) bags). If we converted a large number of houses to pellets, we would source by the box car load directly from a producer.

Mel

Have you checked your history on your search engine? Google has the three dots in the upper right that you can go into your browsing history. Depends on how long ago you searched... If you find it, let us know.

Do you currently have a pellet stove? Are you retro-fitting homes with existing wood stoves or new construction? Having done outside wood boiler, wood stove and pellet stove, I find the pellet stove the most reliable as long as you have the pellet supply and consistently maintain them. No issues with wood supply not being seasoned/dried so no creosote build up and no chimney fires.

Hello Mel , I was buying a pallet ( 65 bags of Lacwood) of pellets for 389.29 with taxes here in Hearst. Is GG's selling Lacwood ? I haven't seen a pelllet stove use a pvc pipe yet

The most efficient pellet stove I can find is the V5.2 Vicenza at 87%. (I would question even that claim.) It says it still needs type L vent pipe as other pellet stoves do. PVC venting has an upper limit of between 140-149 I believe. To get a pellet stove flue gases lower than that I would imagine a secondary heat exchanger would be needed and possibly a condensate drain. I couldn't imagine the maintenance on such of a device even if it were possible.

Reactions: railfanron
I have a feeling my insurance company wouldn't be happy with PVC.

I'm curious and think it could be done but I would prefer metal (stainless preferably) any day. That said it really would not surprise me if they did make or come out with one that was able to vent thru Schedule 40 PVC.

There are many high efficiency gas furnaces that exhaust thru 3" PVC. Those have been around and running for a long while. I guess the pellet stove would have to be able to extract most of the heat first. I'd say it could be done but ????

There are many high efficiency gas furnaces that exhaust thru 3" PVC. Those have been around and running for a long while.
Oh yeah, mine is a 52 gallon hi eff BW fast recovery that is tied into my air handler for principle heat, PVC barely gets warm.