High efficiency replacement for heatilator type insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rb440mike

Jan 16, 2022
Perry, Mi
I’m a new member. I have been lurking on the site for a while and finally have the money for a high efficiency insert. I have not been able to identify my current unit. Just guessing a heatilator. The house was built in 1970 and there is one in the basement and one upstairs. The insert extends out into a block chimney. What I am wondering is if I can install an insert without removing this ? It goes down about 3 inches below the to the bottom of the firebox. There are a couple of heat tubes that go to the upper vent that would need to be cut for the flexible liner. I’m really just trying to get an understanding before I talk to any contractors. My worry is about supporting the new insert at 400ish pounds. Thanks
Mike

A0E952FD-A1E2-47EC-BE87-3E4FCCE4E51E.jpeg

Well now that I figured out it is a superior heatform, the questions about removing the tubes are answered. The remaining question is about the floor of the fireplace being lower than the hearth. Can I just weld up structure to make a new floor for the insert to sit on? I think I will do the install myself. Thanks

Well now that I figured out it is a superior heatform, the questions about removing the tubes are answered. The remaining question is about the floor of the fireplace being lower than the hearth. Can I just weld up structure to make a new floor for the insert to sit on? I think I will do the install myself. Thanks
You can just stack bricks as well

My Osborn 1700 insert showed up today. Now to figure out the best way to get the liner in. Unfortunately that won’t be here until next week. I have a question on removing the center tube from the superior heatform. I can take it out with a saws all or a grinder. Do I need to weld a plate on both sides of where the tube was just in case there is a liner leak? I will definitely put a plate inside the heat vent up top I just don’t know how well it needs to be sealed. Welding over the back of the tube way up in the fire place will be rough. I bought a liner that is oval for 4 ft to hopefully get through that area as it’s only about 5 1/2 inches wide. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Reactions: VintageGal