High Efficiency Wood Burning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jgovernali

Aug 9, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hello,
I am pulling out the builder grade fireplace that is in the home I purchased last year. I want to put in a high efficiency wood burning Fireplace. I am leaning toward the Fireplace Xtrodoinair 42 Apex. I am also considering the 36 elite or the Quadra Fire 7100.

Anyone have any of these and have any thoughts?

The 36 Elite I like but I have bad allergies and it uses outside air...not sure if that will affect me.
The 42 Apex I love. Nobody around me has installed it so they have no feedback on it. It seems to fit everything I am looking for. I would just like some feedback on it.

Thanks!

My folks have the fire place extraordinaire in a 2000 sq ft log home in northern Michigan, does a fine job

No, sorry I dont. I do know it has a cat although

In large fireplaces, if there is a dealer available also look at the Heat & Glo Northstar, RSF Opel 2&3 or Keystone and Astria Montecito Estate. In 3.0 cu ft there are also the Osburn Stratford and Pacific Energy FP30.

If your allergies are that bad, you should probably stick to gas. Saying that however - outside air will not increase allergies to my knowledge. That outside air goes directly into the firebox for combustion and then up the chimney. Possibly some increase when stove not in use, but shouldnt be any worse than say for example a bathroom fan or the ductwork for your clothes dryer.

The 7100 is a popular unit around here - that's what we chose. And as said above, the outside air is just for combustion and goes right up the chimney. The air you feel blowing on you from the unit comes from the inside of your home.

If your allergies are that bad, you should probably stick to gas. Saying that however - outside air will not increase allergies to my knowledge. That outside air goes directly into the firebox for combustion and then up the chimney. Possibly some increase when stove not in use, but shouldnt be any worse than say for example a bathroom fan or the ductwork for your clothes dryer.
Not with the FPX Elite The blower is mounted remotely, pulling outside air. It’s a positive pressure system. If you have bad allergies, I’d suspect this could be an issue. Do you really have allergy problems in the winter though?

Also keep in mind, the FPX Elite needs a lot of room to fit them in. They pretty much need to be installed on an outside wall. The cooling vents and the remote blower are hard to fit into a lot of homes. The Apex does not use the cooling vents, so it will be an easier fit.