High heat paint on walls near stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samandothers

Jun 11, 2017
SW Virginia
I have a question related to paint used near a stove installation. The paint would be applied to either concrete block or concrete board, at least that is the plan. Attached are a couple of drawings showing the stove layout. where this paint would be applied is on the block behind the stove on the columns and back wall. I would also be in the area above the where the horizontal stove pipe would be behind the stove. The face of the block on the columns and above the stove would be stone veneer.

I have performed some searches for high heat paint for the area behind and above a stove. What I come up with with for metal such as headers or engine compartments. What is a more appropriate product?

Thanks for your continued help in my planning.

recreation room basement.pngIMG_20200526_231016622.jpg

If the stove is installed with proper clearances met or exceeded, then there is no need for CMU, cement board or high temp paint behind it. The CMU in particular is undesirable. It will act as a heat sink to the outdoors.

What stove is being installed and what is the finished look being planned for?

We are leaning toward Woodstock's Absolute Steel.

This room will have some chairs or sofa/loveseat for gathering with guests. It maybe used when guests are absent for a sewing or craft type room. The room on the backside of the block wall will be a workshop for wood working or other handy endeavors.

The block wall and columns in the basement, modified plan drawing above, support a beam above the basement ceiling that is under and upstairs soapstone stove. A portion of the columns and wall extend above the upstairs floor level to support a piece of old soap stone to act as a mantel or mantel support on the main level, picture below of old soap stone mantel. The block is planned to receive a stone veneer on the columns and wall on both floors. The bride sketched out the idea of adding a front to the columns above and behind the mantel level to give the appearance of a chimney in the basement, that is the sketch attached above. This too would be stone veneered. Thinking of the interior of this fake fireplace area led me to the idea of just painting the block, versus stone or tile and adding a piece of concrete board spanning the area between the columns and block wall behind the stove this would be painted also. There would be framing to support the painted concrete board and the face of the wall between the columns in the area above the stove which would be stone veneered. I hope the description is clear given drawing and sketch.

IMG_20200225_162107193_HDR.jpg