High Quality Plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
Just before I put the new cistern in service last fall the old cistern went dry. Up the hill there was a shutoff sticking out of the ground about 15 feet from the spring box, I dug the shutoff up, and removed it from the pipe coming from the spring box. Still no water, so I rodded out the last 15 feet of pipe and once water was running I hooked new 1.25" poly pipe to it.
Thursday there was no water in the new cistern, so that evening I potholed a damp spot at the base of the spring box. It was pretty muddy, but I could feel a break in the pipe. Today was my first free day since Thursday evening so I rounded up the pick and shovel and trenched a runoff channel to get rid of the water in the pothole and dug up the last 15 feet of old pipe.
While digging, almost every swing of the pick stuck in a beer can. I uncovered a plastic tube that had contained putty, and when I had enough of a hole to see the damaged area, I found two pieces of 1" galvanized pipe lined up and wrapped in putty. There was no union, coupler or even a hose clamp used to join the pipes. The guy who did this must have been one heck of a plumber to have drank that much beer and made a putty repair that lasted at least 13 years.

I think I know him!

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Hope his brother is not the electrician!

I built my 15X40 two stall stable when we first moved here 40 + years ago, Outer wall 3/8 plywood, inner 3/4X3X12 slats. 2X4 studs 4 ft apart In between beer cans. Still standing. My wood is in there now.

This guy had a serious drinking problem. For the first several months I owned the place I took two 50 gallon trash bags full of cans to the recycler each week. These were picked up in the yard. There was also a chicken coop full. Nothing but Keystone light.

With the new pipe I filled the 2100 gallon cistern in under 24 hours. Water is no longer running out the overflow on the spring box.

He is no longer sad. He was featured in the obits about 2 months ago. 64 I think, with a Rudolph nose.