High temp light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maraian

Nov 28, 2017
Annapolis, MD
keeps coming on and the Easyfire brand (Sierra products, formerly Empire ) pellet stove shuts off after a couple hours of operation. This model has to warning lights, one for high temp and one for blocked flue, the high temp light is the one that keeps coming on.
I cleaned the stove and the stove pipes and chimney. But the problem persists.
I replaced the high temp sensor last year (unrelated)
There is a part of the flue thats between the fire chamber and the stove pipe, just after the combustion fan (this is where the temp sensor is located) that I cannot get to in order to clean.
Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Your stove may be overheating because its "cooling system" isn't working properly.
I suspect your room air blower system. Check that the room blower is running at full RPMs, and that the squirrel cage isn't loaded up with lint/dust/hair.
If your fire is of normal size, I wouldn't suspect the auger is overfeeding.

Your stove may be overheating because its "cooling system" isn't working properly.
I suspect your room air blower system. Check that the room blower is running at full RPMs, and that the squirrel cage isn't loaded up with lint/dust/hair.
If your fire is of normal size, I wouldn't suspect the auger is overfeeding.
Thanks! Yes this seems to make the most sense, as the problem is worst when the stove is on low setting and the fan speed is lowest! I did set up an auxillary fan to blow into the convection fan housing as supplimnetal air flow but this didnt work.
I did find some dust on the fan cove, but this didnt solve the problem, the fan blades where cleaned at the end of last winter.
Im not sure Ill be able to find the RPM specs for the fan, as last time i called the manufacteror, they told me tech department doesnt support my stove because its too old ( was actually made by a company that doesnt exist anymore and was purchased by another company) But there are parts available for my stove, so i quess i will have to replace the motor

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes this seems to make the most sense, as the problem is worst when the stove is on low setting and the fan speed is lowest! I did set up an auxillary fan to blow into the convection fan housing as supplimnetal air flow but this didnt work.
I did find some dust on the fan cove, but this didnt solve the problem, the fan blades where cleaned at the end of last winter.
Im not sure Ill be able to find the RPM specs for the fan, as last time i called the manufacteror, they told me tech department doesnt support my stove because its too old ( was actually made by a company that doesnt exist anymore and was purchased by another company) But there are parts available for my stove, so i quess i will have to replace the motor

Try running it with the convection blower on high and see how it behaves, also how big is your flame?

The flame size hasn't really changed much, although I recently did get some hotter pine pellets, but this problem started just before I switched over.
The funny thing is, my previous pellets were not very hot, but I just chaulked it up to bad pellets, but it's possible the fan motor is not working as well and causing lower temps.
I consulted the manual, and it says to reduce the pellet feed (fine tuning knob) 25% and re lite, so I'm trying that now.
It's a long story but I took apart the combustion fan last year because it was making a noise and when I tried to remove the fan from the motor shaft, my driver bit broke off in the recessed Allen bolt head, so I'm thinking that threw it off balance and may be damaging the bearings or similar causing the motors performance decline.

The flame size hasn't really changed much, although I recently did get some hotter pine pellets, but this problem started just before I switched over.
The funny thing is, my previous pellets were not very hot, but I just chaulked it up to bad pellets, but it's possible the fan motor is not working as well and causing lower temps.
I consulted the manual, and it says to reduce the pellet feed (fine tuning knob) 25% and re lite, so I'm trying that now.
It's a long story but I took apart the combustion fan last year because it was making a noise and when I tried to remove the fan from the motor shaft, my driver bit broke off in the recessed Allen bolt head, so I'm thinking that threw it off balance and may be damaging the bearings or similar causing the motors performance decline.

You very well could have thrown it off balance and killed the bearings, Perhaps start looking for a spare replacement.