High temp RTV silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm trying to get the right one to seal from my stove to pipe adapter.
none you should not need any sealant but if there is to much of a gap you will need either some gasket rope or furnace cement. Silicone will burn off and it smells horrible when it does.

Reactions: webby3650
Any recommendations?

I'm trying to get the right one to seal from my stove to pipe adapter.

Thanks
At the big box store I used high temperature furnace cement

If your are seeing smoke spillage from a pipe joint then it's most likely you have a clogged up chimney cap or heavy build up in the chimney. Like was mentioned, no sealant should be needed.

Which adapter is this?

More information needed. RTV is not appropriate for a wood stove flue collar but ok for a pellet stove. What do you have?

More information needed. RTV is not appropriate for a wood stove flue collar but ok for a pellet stove. What do you have?

Well that's my problem. If you read previous posts, I have a complicated situation. I have a pellet stove with a Class A wood burning stove pipe. It's complicated, but that's per recommendations. My adapter is Durant pelletvent, my pipe is Duravent DVL double wall close clearance 6".

Attached is my setup.

Attachments

• High temp RTV silicone
    KIMG0195.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 496
Reactions: Supersurvey
Overkill for sure and I am not sure how one would properly connect these two very different pipes, but red silicone, or perhaps high-temp copper RTV seems like the right sealant for this job. Moving to pellet forum so that installers there can review.

If that's a pellet stove into a class A and you want to seal the adapter pipe, red RTV is what you want.

Even with class A pipe, it would still need to be relined to the top with 4" wouldn't it?

RTV silicones tend to have a high operating temp of 300-650 degrees depending on the product.

Not sure if that makes it suitable for this odd application or not. I wouldn't use it on a wood stove.

Even with class A pipe, it would still need to be relined to the top with 4" wouldn't it?
If it's actually a pellet stove it would depend on the install instructions that came with the stove. Harman for instance allows 4" into 6", Also in a masonry install, they allow for flex to run part way up into clay liner ( be a pain to clean I would think, course with pellet heat it's just ash). Other brands want 4" to the top and it's not to say that isn't ideal with even Harman. On my Harman P61 I ran 4" flex up 23 ft through an existing chimney and it's worked flawlessly, easy to brush out from the bottom up through a clean out T and positive draft in a power outage..

So with pellets stoves ( assuming that's what this is) depends on brand, install instructions and any town officials involved if any.

I wouldn't use it on a wood stove.
Me either, nor on my coal stove we burned for 35+ years ( actually that didn't need anything). But it's what I used on my pellet install and what is recommended and inspectors expect to see. That or high heat silicone tape at the joints. The outer pipe on pellet vent doesn't see 200 deg. Pellet vent is positive pressure, the inside of the stove negative pressure except for a few really old models.

Reactions: FirepotPete
On my pellet stove install they used Black Silco RTV 4500 High Strength Silicone Sealant. It is rated to 350 degrees continuous. I am not sure if that is what you need, but that was what was used on my install. They left me a tube so I knew what to use when I tear apart for clean-out.

My pipe kit specified high temp RTV for the joints. Also my whole stove was factory assembled with the orange high temp RTV sealing all the panels that make up the firebox and passages.

I concur,
High-Temp Red or Copper Silicon on the stove adapter.. Without it, one can get nuisance odors out of each segment joint, as that is where effluent will leak once it is within the trapped space between the pipes, as the outer joints are not sealed, just the inners with the bonded silicon seals on the Duravent.

For it al to work, It is critical to bond the id of the stove adapter to the od of the inner pipe.The outer pipe seal to the stove adapter is of much less consequence.