High temp silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grader07

Jan 14, 2017
Maryland
What is a good black high temp silicone sealant that you might have used? Going to use it to seal 3 inch Tee adapter with cleanout to my pellet stove. My 4 inch vent showed up today

The auto trade uses this
3M 08672 Ultrapro Black High Temp Silicone Gasket Tube - 3 oz.
It is only good to 600 deg F

I use the red, it's prettier... :p

Use milpac and screws so you can take it apart from service it.

What in earth is Milpac?

My opinion ONLY.
If you ever plan on taking that joint apart, I would use the clear silicone tape.
It is self sealing, and you can take it off easily. Available at HD..
Good luck taking it apart if you silicone the joint...

Dan

Reactions: SidecarFlip
My opinion as well. Only sealed joints in my setup is the stove to vent pipe joint. Everything else is nekkid... The stove to vent pipe length extends through the wall thimble in one piece to the Cleanout Tee. Everything just relies on the twist lock outside so I can take it apart to clean it.

My opinion ONLY.
If you ever plan on taking that joint apart, I would use the clear silicone tape.
It is self sealing, and you can take it off easily. Available at HD..
Good luck taking it apart if you silicone the joint...

Dan
I have the high temp silicone tape in black. Would that really work and take that kind of heat right off the stove like that? Ive seen mentioned on here before by others about using to wrap joints but never right there where venting starts. Just curious because that would make it a lot easier to take off if ever need be.

Reactions: Ssyko
Reactions: SidecarFlip
You should be putting an appliance adapter that would then connect to your T....I’ve siliconed the appliance adapter onto the tailpipe of the stoves I’ve done...pretty sure it’s safer too

What is a good black high temp silicone sealant that you might have used?

Henry (McManus fuels) forwarded your email to me..
This is what I would use... if I was concerned about that...
@Home Depot.

Dan
stretch_seal.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Don2222
You should be putting an appliance adapter that would then connect to your T....I’ve siliconed the appliance adapter onto the tailpipe of the stoves I’ve done...pretty sure it’s safer too
Milpac and screws is just as safe and is easily removable

I didnt get the appliance adapter just the 3 inch Tee to 4 inch vent. Maybe this milpac should be an option?
Not without an appliance adapter. That is absolutely required

Then should i return the piece i got and get the 3 inch to 4 inch appliance adaptor and the get the 4 in Tee with clean out?
I don't know anything about the setup so I really can't advise on layout of the venting system. But an appliance adapter is nessecary

WOW, that beats red RTV hands down for elasticity and maximum temperature I just ordered a tube for my own use and will give it a try on my outside venting when I reassemble it in the fall.

Thank you young man.... :)

Reactions: Ssyko and bholler
WOW, that beats red RTV hands down for elasticity and maximum temperature I just ordered a tube for my own use and will give it a try on my outside venting when I reassemble it in the fall.

Thank you young man.... :)
You can thank the old guy I learned from for that one.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Reactions: bholler