High Temperature Lubricant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
My stove has developed an intermittent squeal and I believe it’s coming from the auger shaft turning in the lower brass auger bushing. I don’t know for sure as I haven’t removed the insert from the fireplace. I’m hoping to wait until I do a full clean this summer but if it gets worse or more frequent and/or louder then I’ll bite the bullet. The 4 RPM auger motor is four years old and the brass bushing is two years old. The original bushing was made of Nylatron and I assume offered no resistance to the turning auger. The squeak isn’t happening on every turn of the of the auger.

If my assumptions are correct and the brass bushing is starting to offer resistance to the auger for some reason, is there a high temperature lubricant made that I can coat the bushing and/or auger shaft to keep this squeak from happening in the future? I have some liquid graphite but I’m not sure how durable or heat resistant it is. I doubt the bushing gets hot, warm perhaps.

I used high temp anti-seize on my upper bushing a few years ago, and it's still doing its job. I assume it gets pretty hot up there, since it's at the top of the fire chamber, and the original grease was so hard I had to chip it off the auger bearing surface.

+1 on anti seize. Any synthetic motor oil will work also.