Highbeam's NC-30 Blower Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I've been reading Highbeam's design for a blower on his NC-30 from about 2015. I see that the blower is still available on Amazon, I can build the brackets. I want to add a rheostat, a snap disk thermostat, and a bypass. (I've been thinking about this and haven't done anything...)

Has the motor held up to the heat on the stove?

Can I mount that snap disk to the rear of that stove to keep the top looking good?

Anything you would change about your design?

A link to the original posting would be helpful for context.

Reactions: Dmitry and Braxvang
I've been reading Highbeam's design for a blower on his NC-30 from about 2015. I see that the blower is still available on Amazon, I can build the brackets. I want to add a rheostat, a snap disk thermostat, and a bypass. (I've been thinking about this and haven't done anything...)

Has the motor held up to the heat on the stove?

Can I mount that snap disk to the rear of that stove to keep the top looking good?

Anything you would change about your design?

The motor has held up perfectly. It’s pretty cool down low behind the stove and the running fan self cools by pulling air across the motor. It was designed for fireplace operations.

The snap disk can go anywhere that gives you the temperature swings needed to turn the fan on and off. There could be some trial and error. Putting it on top is pretty ugly but great for function. Commercial stoves always hide it in back.

My improvement would be to install a rheostat somewhere to adjust the blower speed. They sell them for this application and they are pretty cheap. The purpose is just to reduce noise while not needing maximum output.

The motor has held up perfectly. It’s pretty cool down low behind the stove and the running fan self cools by pulling air across the motor. It was designed for fireplace operations.

The snap disk can go anywhere that gives you the temperature swings needed to turn the fan on and off. There could be some trial and error. Putting it on top is pretty ugly but great for function. Commercial stoves always hide it in back.

My improvement would be to install a rheostat somewhere to adjust the blower speed. They sell them for this application and they are pretty cheap. The purpose is just to reduce noise while not needing maximum output.
Definitely going to install the rheostat, maybe I'll hide the snap disk right behind the black pipe