Highest output wood insert under 20" tall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tmac908

Apr 1, 2020
philadelphia
Hi all, I recently purchased a house in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. It is a 2000 sq split level home with a fireplace on the ground floor. Since we decided to buy we have been interested in using an insert as a supplemental heat source for the house. After we moved in and I actually measured the opening on the fireplace I realized that the 20 inch height may be an issue and it seems like will limit us to some of the smaller units which will not produce as much heat. I am looking to see if anyone has any recommendation for a good unit under 20 inches tall that may be able to put out enough heat for a home that is 2000 sqft (I know we will probably not get a unit that will be able to heat the whole house all winter reliably, but maybe something that can produce enough for milder days to give the boiler a break). The opening is tapered, and the overall dimensions are: 15.5" deep before the height tapers off, 20" high at the opening. 27" wide at the narrowest point (the width begins tapering off immediately the actual front opening is about 32 inches) I have been stalking around the forum the past few months and know that expanding the hearth to have enough room for a stove may be the best option, but would like to avoid that for now. Thank you in advance for any advice that is given!

These are contradictory requirements. If the first and most important requirement is heat output, then making a hearth extension shouldn't be a blocker. Flush units with shallow fireboxes are ok for supplemental, but not so much for 24/7 heating.

How far in front of the fireplace face does the hearth extend? Can you post a picture of the fireplace and hearth?

Thanks Begreen, Attached is a pic of how it is set up. The front ledge extends out 15 inches from the opening of the fireplace. the front face of the hearth is 1 ft tall exactly. I guess if it is necessary for more heat i can extend it out, just not sure how much work that entails, and was hoping to get away without extending.

Attachments

• 20200401_130758.jpg
    20200401_130758.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 74
That's very helpful. You will be able to extend the hearth with simple ember protection. This could be as simple as a sheet of metal, tacked to the floor or a basic hearth extension board. Due to the shallower nature of the fireplace, I would look at inserts that project a bit out onto the hearth. Unfortunately, the options are changing due to changing EPA regulations. An Enviro Kodiak 1200 looks like it might just fit, but they don't have a 2020 ready stove. The Lopi Revere insert might just squeak in there. Measure that 20" again to be sure. The Country Performer C210 insert is 19" tall, now sold under the IronStrike brand. It's a good insert, but it will project out onto the hearth 9". This is not a big deal with a simple hearth extension at floor level.

Reactions: Rickb
These all look like great options. and the hearth extension looks easier than I thought. Thanks again for the help. I searched for hours and never came across these three models which seem like they will fit perfect..

Heya neighbor. While you are looking at units that might fit, I would start securing wood RIGHT now for next winter. Get yourself a supply that is split, then stack and cover in the sun if possible. Depending on species, one summer might not be enough, but you will get some wood at or close to 20% moisture content. I did this for my insert (gathered several cords the year prior) and it made all the difference in performance and satisfaction. If you don't have access to a wood supply, buy some now so you know it will have 7 months or so of seasoning.

Reactions: Rhodie
Hi Spudman, thanks for the advice, a friend of mine said something similar. Me neighbor just had an ash tree cut down and I am in the process of splitting that wood up now. I am hoping one summer will be enough to dry it out.