Hip roof flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MikeK

Oct 12, 2014
MN
I quoted this from a thread from @webby3650.

" I love the side door!
The chimney was already here when we bought the place and its not centered in the corner, but I didn't think it was bad enough to bother with elbows. It comes right out of the hip on the roof, since they don't make a hip flashing I had to make one. The previous owner had some stuff rigged up and it leaked. "

I didn't find other info when I searched on this.

I was hoping to do a corner install with a BK King. However, this home has a hip roof. I am uncertain about flashing on a hip roof. Would like to keep it as straight up and out as possible. I would say I don't know what I don't know about flashing, so wanted to ask the experts. How is flashing done or is it common to do so when the Class a exits near the hip on a hip roof? Or should I scrap corner install and find a different spot where the class A will not exit near the hip?

Thanks!

You can install the stove in the corner and offset the Class A chimney to either side and connect with the appropriate elbows. I wouldn't recommend going with more than a 15-45 degree offset on the elbow(s).

Reactions: MikeK
So the chimney is running near the actual hip joint? Is this a conventional hip roof? How tall is the chimney from stove top to cap going to be?
If its regular asphalt shingles you can remove or peel back the cap shingles, trim the roof flashing kit to the appropriate angle that comes with the class a through the roof pipe kit, follow the instruction on removing the base course shingles, re-nail them and then re-install the cap shingles. Obviously your going to have to run a plumb bob through the ceiling and down to the stove making sure you in-between the hip rafter and the first rafter next to the hip joint, so the stove may not be exactly in the corner, might be off side a little bit, but if you make the hearth bigger and put an area to stack wood is should balance the stove room area out a little better. BTW I hate corner installs lol, they take to much space when compared to straight back to a regular wall.
If your running minimal spec chimney height, I would avoid putting in elbows and such, but if you >15ft you might be able to move the chimney more to the side of the hip rafter, then install (2) class a elbows and come straight down to the ceiling support box centered for the corner install.

I quoted this from a thread from @webby3650.

" I love the side door!
The chimney was already here when we bought the place and its not centered in the corner, but I didn't think it was bad enough to bother with elbows. It comes right out of the hip on the roof, since they don't make a hip flashing I had to make one. The previous owner had some stuff rigged up and it leaked. "

I didn't find other info when I searched on this.

I was hoping to do a corner install with a BK King. However, this home has a hip roof. I am uncertain about flashing on a hip roof. Would like to keep it as straight up and out as possible. I would say I don't know what I don't know about flashing, so wanted to ask the experts. How is flashing done or is it common to do so when the Class a exits near the hip on a hip roof? Or should I scrap corner install and find a different spot where the class A will not exit near the hip?

Thanks!
If you are familiar with Tinsmithing or metal work you can make it. It wasn’t real hard. It’s kind of my thing though..
If your flue is near minimum height, I’d highly suggest avoiding elbows if at all possible.