Hobbies anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been collecting for years and over time I have begun to appreciate simple designs more, my favorite chairs are square backs with through tenon leg and bamboo turnings they are hard to find, I have only seen three and purchased them all. That being said I have a warm place in my heart for sack backs, I live in a 1765 house with small rooms and wish I had more room for them, I have to settle for mostly side chairs. Wish I had your skills to make some myself.
I taught myself years ago using Mike Dunbar's book. Great resource.

Image.jpeg

Nice, is it a New England design.
Thanks! They are fun to make. I'm no expert, I just do it for fun. I've made maybe 20 chairs for myself, and friends. I think the coolest part is that it's all done with hand tools except for the lathe. And I cheat when I'm cutting out the seat -- I use a band saw rather than a hand saw. The next one I make will be a writing arm, I think. Maybe this summer.

Reactions: begreen
Here are two recent additions to my collection. The water cooler is rather rare piece. It’s an advertising piece with double looped handles, and is stamped on both the front and back. The stamp on the back is the maker’s name. This mark was used between 1824-1826. This piece is in mint condition as there is not as much as a fleabite chip on it. Any marks on it were made while in the kiln. I won it on a local online auction and this came from a local estate. Remarkably this has lasted 200 years with no damage as stoneware was manufactured for utilitarian purposes.

B44742A9-B122-4108-9E26-261B08B99C79.jpeg 98329010-9AED-4F9C-BC6E-CDF55AC3B8A3.jpeg A1A3CDB1-26A9-4EAD-BE6F-90F4832372C5.jpeg

Reactions: ispinwool
Troy used to make so many things. It’s perfectly positioned for industry with the road, rail, and water for moving goods. Sigh.

Reactions: woodey