Holiday cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
Had a few hours to spare so I jumped in the treeline an cut me a quick pile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 176
Must be nice working out there without any snow!

Nice stack.
What kind of wood is that? Is the heart wood bright yellow?
I have some wood that I am burning that looks like that and I haven’t been able to ID it.

Hedge. My favorite. It fell over last year and had some darn fence grown in it. A bit tricky but I it lose from the root ball. I left a good portion of the trunk cause of all the fence but I still got a good pile. That's just half of that tree so plenty more. I stacked the brush around the stump so that should make for a good brush fire.

There's a large locust tree about 20 yards down the tree line that's dead so that ones next. Lots of red maple too. My neighbor wants the trees cut back from his hay field and told me to go crazy.

The hedge I have was a lot more yellow when cut and the exposed to air parts were a dark deep orange. As long as we are calling hedge the same thing. Osage orange tree. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390262959.876338.jpg

Oh man you guys have some hot stuff there. Hedge apple, osage all the same. Good stuff. Lots of sparks!

Yes, Osage orange. My son thinks the fruit looks like brains. It does burn hot, only thing I like more than hickory.

The hedge I have was a lot more yellow when cut and the exposed to air parts were a dark deep orange. As long as we are calling hedge the same thing. Osage orange tree. View attachment 124786

The stuff I'm thinking of is yellow like that, but doesn't have the shaggy bark. I actually mistook it for young ash when I cut into it. Then the yellow chips started flying....

Nice load of btu's for a quickie, msherer!

Status
Not open for further replies.