Holy Pellets Batman!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdp7462

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2007
So, I went and bought 1 bag of "natures heat pellets" from walmart the other day. I came home and opened 'er up and found about 30% of the bag with approx. 2 inch pellets! I have never seen any pellets even half that big. Any suggestions from the pellet heads? I am assuming I should not try to burn these through my Englander stove. I cannot find my usb cord for my digital camera or I would have posted some pics. I am still in awe....is this normal for other brands?

From our point of view, you can burn the pellets. You will almost certainly have to alter the low fuel feed setting on the control board to dial it in at low burn levels, but otherwise it shouldn't cause a huge problem. If you decide you want to burn them and need some help adjusting the control board let me know.

I believe you should be ok also, if the englanders have a solid (flighted) auger. Which I'm sure they do It will chew through the pellet.
I believe Quads are a different auger type and would possibly block up.
There is however the potential of the hopper bridging easier with the long pellets.
Last year I had some pellets (in a bag or 2) that were 3" and they ran ok, Theres a photo in here somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Good posting, thanks kdp. These pellets will bridge in some stoves. They sound like they are standard (industrial) quality instead of premium. Most premium pellets will be 3/4" or under in length. Welcome to Walmart.

Begreen,
The bad did state "premium hardwood pellets" so I thought that they would work ok. Last year I did buy some blazers(I think that was the name of them) from walmart once my energex ran out and they ran fine in my stove. I think what I am going to do is mix this bag with another brand so that it is not too much all at once. Thanks for the replies guys!

One thing to check on the bags of pellets is the PFI member placard on the back.
http://www.pelletheat.org/3/industry/index.html

If they are a member they tend to adhere to the standards, though the long pellets I got were made by a PFI member.
Manufacturing defects can happen no matter who makes them.

I believe if they are a member they have been sent out to a testing lab for BTU content sodiums etc..

Technically speaking, I could start a pellet mill and grind up sawdust, grass clippings and cow chit, compress them together and sell them in a bag that says premium and no one would know the difference. :cheese:

GVA is right, most Quad unit quiver when they see pellets that long. They will jam sideways in the auger and get stuck. The wimpy motor can't chop them up. We have had customer put the whole bag in a bucket and chop them with a flat blade shovel, work pretty good if you have already bought the pellets and can't return them.

Beware of the bad pellet. Tractor Supply has been getting Pro Pellet this year. I am not sure what stores/area will have the pellet but it is an awsome pellet. I have shipped over 20 trucks of Pro Pellets this year and have not had one legitimate complaint. I can be reached through www.kinsmanstoves.com. Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Beware of the bad pellet. Tractor Supply has been getting Pro Pellet this year. I am not sure what stores/area will have the pellet but it is an awsome pellet. I have shipped over 20 tons of Pro Pellets this year and have not had one legitimate complaint. I can be reached through www.kinsmanstoves.com. Eric
I sold 43 tons of the Pro Pellets last year And had NOTHING but Complaints
they had a lot of clinkering and most people had to clean out their burn pot every day
I would never sell them again.

I got them at the end of the is desperation for the west coast had shortages and Pinnacled would not send me what I wanted because I was OVER my 850 ton allotment

They were OK but lots of clinkering and ash.
And they did not wrap the pallets very well and we had a lot of damaged pellets from being wet or pallets leaners.
that rubbed against the container when shipped by rail to us.
and they took forEVER
2 and half weeks to get to us after I PRE paid for the Loads.

The energex I had shipped from back east were just as bad.

again we are spoiled with having the good fir for all the past years but not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.