Holy Smoke this looks bad...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Post

Oct 24, 2007
Southern WI
I noticed my chimney cap looks pretty dirty after this past heating season. I don't know anyone around here that has a gassifier so I thought I would post a pic of my chimney cap and ask if this is typical.

How does this compare to your chimney cap...just curious. Post a photo if you have one.

jp

Attachments

• tarm_stack.jpg
    tarm_stack.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 686
From the picture - this looks pretty clean to me. That said, I had a cap on my greenwood and it not only plugged up but it noticeably reduced my draft and therefore contributed to the clogging of the cap. So off it has come and the system runs a lot better. I might recommend you do the same.

Pete

Looks like the cap on my Tarm, I'd say it was fine.

Easy to "see" if a problem. I just remove the black stove pipe between my Tarm and the insulated flue and take a gander up the flue -- very little accumulation and then only near the cap, almost clean but discolored flue all the way up. I will clean it after the end of this heating season, once a year should do it. Your cap looks great to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.