HOLY SMOKES $$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rondog713

Jan 28, 2010
so.cal high desert
well long story short I bought a new home with a bis . the home was a repo so some work was in order ; all said and done the last thing is to purchase are the 2 top baffles (which are missing ) for the BIS and HOLY SMOKES $ 214 bucks each .......NO WAY this can't be right ! i've searched high and low and that is the best price !

HERE is my idea......I want to use STANDARD white stove bricks which are about 1" thick and are VERY light weight !
I do belive the stove can handle the weight of these bricks above the secondary burn tubes which is where the baffles go , i just need something AFFORDABLE to baffle the heat and slow it down when going out the chiminey

let's hear what everyone thinks !!!! thank you !

My Oslo uses a lightweight Vermiculite baffle, only downside is... it's on the brittle side.
Had my stove over 5 years now, baffle still like new......vermiculite can take a massive heat beating.

WoodButcher

I think I'm going to be even more careful with my baffle from now on. Ouch.

The bricks might work, if you can get them to mate close enough. Or look for generic sheets of whatever those baffles are made of and cut your own.

Sit bricks on top of burn tubes with no other support and get ready to replace some warped burn tubes.

If he's talking about the bricks I'm thinking of, which are some sort of conglomerate, they're very light. On the other hand, my BIS burn tubes have no weight on them and they sag downwards maybe 1/2" at the center just from their own weight. Maybe cut a sheet of stainless to sit under the bricks and distribute the load?

DiscoInferno said:
Or look for generic sheets of whatever those baffles are made of and cut your own.

When someone finds this, I'm pretty sure it will be pasted all over this site.

See if you can find some fiberfrax. I think that's what it is called. We use it at work and it will take heat into the 1000's of degrees. The boards we use are 1" and 2 ". The boards are 24x36 and are durable but can be cut with a box knife. I'll check tomorrow and see what the deal is on the stuff as in name,price and so on.

Rob

I use a TON of fiberboard at work. I actually work in the refractory industry so this is kind of second nature for me. If you were local I would give you a piece to try out, not sure if it would work correctly tho.. Anyhow, let me know where your located and I'll try and point you towards a supplier who can help.

Jason

well bricks are in place and what a difference !!! now the heat stays in the stove ....and only used 8 bricks @ a cost of $36 bucks !
I understand the concern for the weight but i'm guessin ALL 8 bricks weigh about a pound .......if the center sags then i will address it then with a center support like my country performer 210 has !

Thanks for the advise ....and please post up if you find an affordable supplier for the fiberfrax sheets . mine needs to be 23"x13" just pm me with details .....Thanks again !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.