HOLY wind!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
All last night and today we have been getting some fairly strong winds. At some point during the night I had a pretty big pine snap off about 10 feet up and it is laying in my driveway. The pine was already dead so hopefully I can salvage some wood out of it!!

I have all next week off so I will hit my usual spots and look for more wind damaged trees! 80% of this years fire wood is blow down and wind damaged trees.

We had good winds here in NE Pa last night as well. They have died down today today though.

Was really glad that last weekend we took down the 30in maple that was slowly dying in the front yard. Much nicer when they come down as I like them! I just find it easier taking care of the fire wood when it's not sitting on top of a Pontiac.

pen

got to agree with Pen on that one.
Just got the remaining 25 foot of the 30 incher that took the front end of my truck. Just got it out last week and need to get it cut up.
Figured if it was gonna take out the front end that the least I could do was put it in the stove........
Took a hard working backhoe to pull that one out.
That's on the list
rn

I also planned on taking down 3-4 other pines that got topped last winter from ice and wind. They are in a tricky spot near my house a power feed lines. I will see how ballsy I feel in the morning.

I won't do anything like that!!

Well I got bored and made a couple cuts on the dead pine that fell near my driveway. I was worried that it has been dead for to long and would not yield any useable
fire wood. i was wrong and it does have some good wood in it! Lucky me!

Just don't tell my Mom that I am cutting Pine for heating wood!!!! :)

Pine is great firewood when dry. I actually just noticed we lost a couple over the weekend. One standing dead elm fell over and another younger ash. Looks like the firewood fairy dropped by.

Status
Not open for further replies.