Holz Hausen Photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Here are the photos as it was built...

Attachments

• HolzHausenCloseup20070225.jpg
    HolzHausenCloseup20070225.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,909
  • HolzHausenCloseup20070303.jpg
    HolzHausenCloseup20070303.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,877
Completed pile, with photo of the top. It's eight feet tall.

Attachments

• HolzHausenDone2.jpg
    HolzHausenDone2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,873
  • HolzHausen2007DoneTop.jpg
    HolzHausen2007DoneTop.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,727
Thats pretty cool. Looking at the other post you put up I'm guessing this is facilitate curing, right? Is there another purpose besides making somehting more aesthetically pleasing than a rectangular stack?

It's to protect that little tree in the middle :lol:

Nice work it looks good

Nice job Warmguy, how many man-hours into that?

Hate to burst your bubble, but your HH looks like it's going to collapse due to the top looking wider than the bottom and it also looks like there is a bulge on the right side. When that wood starts to dry, settle and shrink it can become very unstable, believe me, it happened to me last year and it was no fun restacking an 8' HH.

I didn't want to rain on the parade either but that next to last photo looks like it's already blowing out. You wouldn't catch me standing too close to that, or parking a truck next to it, or letting my kids get close.

Todd said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but your HH looks like it's going to collapse due to the top looking wider than the bottom and it also looks like there is a bulge on the right side. When that wood starts to dry, settle and shrink it can become very unstable, believe me, it happened to me last year and it was no fun restacking an 8' HH.

Good call. The the top half of the right side collapsed a few hours after I took the shot. Here's a shot of it after I rebuilt it.

The bulge on the left may go at some point.

Next time I'm going to taper in towards the middle starting at the base. For this one I tried to make the sides vertical.

Hard to say how many hours it took to build it originally, since I built it as I split. I did it mostly because I'm running out of space to put my firewood, but partly for the fun. When it gets over 7 feet or so, progress slows down. You either have to take each log up the ladder, or toss them up and go up the ladder to rearrange.

Attachments

• HolzHausenRebuilt.jpg
    HolzHausenRebuilt.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,412
After mine collapsed last year I rebuilt it 7' tall, 8' wide at the base and 6' wide at the top. Never had a problem after that, and the wood dried pretty well throughout.

I'm stacking a holz, 10 ft in diameter. With knowledge of the the blowouts here, I'm attempting to avoid the problem by stacking the wood on the inside on end from the center out, with a slight tilt toward the center. The whole thing is kind of spiraling up nicely. I plan on it being 10 ft high, as long as I don't run out of wood.

Attachments

• Holz- stacking_1.jpg
    Holz- stacking_1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Holz- stacking.jpg
    Holz- stacking.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,375
That's going to be eine Uber Hausen!

Cafe du Holz Hausen:

Attachments

• der holtz.jpg
    der holtz.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,594
Very nice start. One thing I learned was to keep the begining base for my next HH. I didn't deplete the entire HH as I burned. Made for an easy restart on my next HH.

I plan on it being 10 ft high

As soon as mine got to about 7 ft, I found I had to either carry logs up the ladder two at a time, or toss a bunch up and rearrange. In any case, construction slows considerably at that point.

Well, as soon as it approach 7 feet, it collapsed. The center was stacked on end and the fill side was leaning away, and much of it went over. I restacked it laying things flat in the center. It might be as high as 8 ft high in the center now. The next one I stack, next year, will have two rows for the walls and things laying as flat as possible in the center.

Attachments

• Post_Pile.JPG
    Post_Pile.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 460
Status
Not open for further replies.