holzhausen tutorial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I like the idea. I think it might dry faster than stacking several rows together like I do now. (To save space)
you could be right. i dont have a moisture meter, but judging by colour and sound the holzhausen is drying well. as for saving space, it's hard to beat a holzhausen. 6 cords in a 10 foot circle is impressive.

As you can see from my avatar pic, I would recommend the Holz. for your future stacking needs.

Reactions: rockrobinoff
Good looking Holz. They're fun to do. Maybe less work too!

I inevitably get a lot of short and strange pieces that would work well in the centers. I like how you only need to stack the outside. In the past I have piled everything up in a mound but the centers don't dry. Do the centers in these dry? They might dry slabwood well to.

I did one of those a few years back, 10ft radius with a random through on the inside, went about 6ft then created a dome, meh is what I saw, it sat out for 2 years and the wood was still damp in the center, plus dismantling it was sort of a chore. It was fun to build, looked nice because it was unique, but as far as drying faster, it think the jury is still out.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I inevitably get a lot of short and strange pieces that would work well in the centers. I like how you only need to stack the outside. In the past I have piled everything up in a mound but the centers don't dry. Do the centers in these dry? They might dry slabwood well to.
It does seem like there is a lot of difference of opinion as to how well a Holzhausen works. All I can say is that it is a well subscribed and traditional method of stacking firewood, but it's hard to account for the varying degrees of success people have with it - especially for the pieces in the middle.

Something to read while figuring out if it works or not:

Reactions: MissMac and JimBear
I have a couple stacked Holz housen, I ran out of room in my shed, figure if it’s going to sit outside for 2 years along my drive, may as well make it look interesting

Reactions: rockrobinoff
I have a couple stacked Holz housen, I ran out of room in my shed, figure if it’s going to sit outside for 2 years along my drive, may as well make it look interesting
Yup, smaller foot print to stack lots of wood.

I did a couple and had similar results -- outside was seasoned about as well as traditional stacking and the inside loosely thrown pieces were less seasoned. I went up about 6 feet using four pallets -- seemed like this size held about the same amount of wood using three pallets stacked traditionally . . . but I could probably have gone higher and got more wood in the same footprint if I had a ladder or step stool. Neat to look at and do, but these days I tend to stick with the traditional stacking.

Reactions: Sailrmike