Home Depot / Lowes Inventory Status

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by Manchester HD and found nothing... Salesman felt they were done...
My wife bought a couple of bags of Fireside (@4.18) to try out at Hooksett HD (maybe the last??)....

I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to see what they have.

I'm new to this, this year and attempting to evaluate everything I buy.
So far I like Agway's home brand (5.99) and Okies (5.99), looking at 260 a ton (but don't have to store them and can mix an match).
Getting 25 degree hotter burns for the same time vs. what else I've tried.
I really like my local Agway and for 20-30 bucks a ton and they store them, they get my business.

Then again...60 -80 dollars a ton... I have to evaluate the cost difference....

Agway doesn't seem to be quitting on the heating season as of yet (yet another reason I like like these folks).

olddawgsrule said:
My wife bought a couple of bags of Fireside (@4.18) to try out at Hooksett HD (maybe the last??)....

So far I like Agway's home brand (5.99) and Okies (5.99), looking at 260 a ton (but don't have to store them and can mix an match).
I really like my local Agway and for 20-30 bucks a ton and they store them, they get my business.

Agway doesn't seem to be quitting on the heating season as of yet (yet another reason I like like these folks).

Do you know who makes agways? Once place I saw new England wood pellet
Another might have been barefoot? I dunno hopefully you do

I think Home Depot has called it a season. Went to two locally, all out of pellets. Lowes in Worcester unloaded a truck load of Greene Team this A.M.

Glad you guys alerted this gonna be a pellet burner rookie to the HD stove chow when you did. They won't be burned until next season. I need to move some of them and am wondering. How much damage does multiple handling do to the pellets in the bags?

BrotherBart said:
Glad you guys alerted this gonna be a pellet burner rookie to the HD stove chow when you did. They won't be burned until next season. I need to move some of them and am wondering. How much damage does multiple handling do to the pellets in the bags?

Bart, Pellets are pretty durable. As long as you don't stomp on them, You can move them a few times. Big thing is moisture, So keep um dry and all will be fine!

Thanks! At HD I had to load every bag, with the help of a couple of great youngsters, unload'em when I got home and now need to a relocate a ton. Threes tons wore my broken down old self right out hefting them three times. Into the truck and trailer, off the trailer into the garden tractor trailer and out of it into the storage place. Now I need to relocate a ton. It all happened to fast to do smart planning.

Hopefully the next move is into the hopper.

Bart,

Be careful of the tops. The seal at the top is usually where I find they may break. As long as you aren't tossing them around, you should be fine. Out of the 8 tons I've burned, I've only had two or three break open. When they do, it's quite a mess :)

Plaistow NH, HD had some Fireside Ultra's for 4.18/bag right at the front. Grabbed a single bag to try out. Just broke out the first couple bags of the newp from the ton I was concerned about burning, no moaning/grinding so far... which is making me smile somewhat.

The Lowes in Poughkeepsie, NY had about 40 tons of Prestologs, Greenway and North American Pellets as of yesterday. All three brands were $3.94 per bag. I saw only about 20 tons in the yard, but the manager said they had 2000 bags available. I am not a pellet expert by any means, but I find that the Prestologs, Greenway and Stove Chow have burned well in my Harman P68. Lowes is running a special finance deal this weekend with no interest for 18 months when you spend $399. I bough 4 tons of Prestologs and 1 ton of Greenway pellets for next year. I used a 10% Lowes coupon (post office moving pack) and paid $65 for delivery of all 5 tons. This comes out to about $190 per ton delivered. With 18 month free interest, I will pay these off as I burn them next year. Hope that helps.

ibil4u said:
The Lowes in Poughkeepsie, NY had about 40 tons of Prestologs, Greenway and North American Pellets as of yesterday. All three brands were $3.94 per bag. I saw only about 20 tons in the yard, but the manager said they had 2000 bags available. I am not a pellet expert by any means, but I find that the Prestologs, Greenway and Stove Chow have burned well in my Harman P68. Lowes is running a special finance deal this weekend with no interest for 18 months when you spend $399. I bough 4 tons of Prestologs and 1 ton of Greenway pellets for next year. I used a 10% Lowes coupon (post office moving pack) and paid $65 for delivery of all 5 tons. This comes out to about $190 per ton delivered. With 18 month free interest, I will pay these off as I burn them next year. Hope that helps.

Sounds like you made a smart choice. Good pellets, cheap, delivered, and you didn't even have to pay for them ;-P

iceman said:
olddawgsrule said:

Do you know who makes agways? Once place I saw new England wood pellet
Another might have been barefoot? I dunno hopefully you do

I was told by Agway they're 'New England Pellet' packaged for them.
Here's the weird part...
Agway's burns hotter by 25 degrees than the packaged NE Pellet...
You guys tell me why....
Age of pellet???
Maybe how the suppliers store them??

AFAIK, Agways are bagged by Hamer. So there the same pellet as Hamer Hot Ones and the Hardwood Heat you can get at TSC. HD's Winter Warm and the Statesman brand are also bagged by Hamers.

j-takeman said:
AFAIK, Agways are bagged by Hamer. So there the same pellet as Hamer Hot Ones and the Hardwood Heat you can get at TSC. HD's Winter Warm and the Statesman brand are also bagged by Hamers.

Wow! Now if. I could find one of those places that have them in stock at a cheaper price!

BrotherBart said:

Say what? Huh? Are you implying you burn /will be burning pellets?:)

iceman said:
j-takeman said:

Wow! Now if. I could find one of those places that have them in stock at a cheaper price!

We have discused this in other threads. I started a thread to put them all on the table. They can rebag them but we can figure them out with some digging! :)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51230/

iceman said:
BrotherBart said:

No implying. Saying it. Said it in an earlier thread. Going to use pellets when I need to work in the unfinished basement. The wood stove takes too long to get up to speed and by the time it does I am done down there. A little residual heat should make it up to the main floor also.

Bought the stove a couple of years ago for another reason. Time to put it to work.

Just came from HD Hooksett
9 tons of Fireside left.
Statement is, that's it, but was also told the last shipment was supposed to be...

Lowes Hooksett has 8 tons of North American left.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
BrotherBart said:

No implying. Saying it. Said it in an earlier thread. Going to use pellets when I need to work in the unfinished basement. The wood stove takes too long to get up to speed and by the time it does I am done down there. A little residual heat should make it up to the main floor also.

Bought the stove a couple of years ago for another reason. Time to put it to work.

Whew! Thought you were gonna be a convert! ...was getting nervous

Lowes has been out of stock on pellets for nearly a month now in my area, they have already transitioned over to Spring seasonal stuff and are no longer stocking pellets. Various HD's still have them in stock but it's very hit or miss. TSC is the only large department store retailer still ordering them on a regular basis (this year they have been selling Lignetics in my area).

ChrisWNY said:
Lowes has been out of stock on pellets for nearly a month now in my area, they have already transitioned over to Spring seasonal stuff and are no longer stocking pellets. Various HD's still have them in stock but it's very hit or miss. TSC is the only large department store retailer still ordering them on a regular basis (this year they have been selling Lignetics in my area).

In cortland TSC has maines, picked up a bag yesterday to try out...

KatWill said:
I understand that they are trying to make space for spring and summer items, but I mean really, lets get serious here, its the middle of winter. The coldest two months are usually Jan and Feb and even into mid march. Demand is still pretty high.

Yeah, I love it how the big box stores stop selling winter merchandise in January and roll out the patio furniture. We had a nasty ice storm last week and both Blowes and Homies had no rock salt whatsoever. They did have plenty of BBQ grills and lawn chairs, though. for them, it's all about not being stuck with out-of-season inventory. Wood pellets in February? How demanding! What's next, lawn fertilizer in May?

You got it, richg, most of the big box stores already have their fertilizers on the shelves, including TSC. Xmas stuff hits the shelves as early as August at some of the big box stores, which is pitiful IMO.

;)

Update: 2/22 Just called them and the garden center guy said that no more were on order....

HD Danvers is still blowing through over 20 ton per week. More Fireside Ultra coming in this coming week.

Harman Lover 007 said:
Update: 2/22 Just called them and the garden center guy said that no more were on order....

HD Danvers is still blowing through over 20 ton per week. More Fireside Ultra coming in this coming week.

FWIW, I have a friend who knows a Regional Manager for HD. He told him this morning that HD is done with pellets for now in the Northern Mass/Southern NH area. Lowes Danvers has Freedom Fuel in stock(yuck).

Lowes Seabrook has a large amount (40+ ton I'm told) of Currans, Fireside Ultras and Maines Choice. If you are going to do it, do it NOW. We just got 4 ton of FU for $188/ton w 10% coupon. One of them is mine.....I really have to stop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.