Home Depot Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skolden

Aug 21, 2014
Washington State
Well I can finally afford to get a new pellet stove, was looking at the ComfortBilt line that Home Depot carries, has anyone been around any of them before and had good luck? Between Amazon and HD the reviews for the HP22 look pretty decent, the only downside being it only holds 55 pounds of pellets, the HP22N looks like the exact same stove with just a bigger hopper as far as I can tell. I think anything will beat the old Foxfire 400 PS that I've currently used as my main source of heat for the last few years! With that being said, would I be happy with one of those stoves or is there a stove in that 2k price range that would do a better job?

Edit: Is it true you have to turn it off after every bag and clean your ash pan? I'm fine with doing it once a week but everyday seems pretty out there...

Last edited:
They are pretty decent stoves and no you would not have to empty the ash pan daily or after every bag, The ashpan on the HP22 is big enough you should only have to empty it weekly and may even go longer. I personally though would suggest also checking out the Heatilator Cab 50 it has 120 lb. hopper and the ashpan can be emptied without opening the firebox door so no need to shut the stove down. It's a HHT stove which is the same co. that owns quadrafire and Harman and uses several quadrafire parts.

Reactions: Don2222
I do not own a heatilator but do own a Harman and have in the past owned a castle serenity which used some of the same parts as comfortbilt. I liked the serenity and for what it cost it was a great stove. I just think that in the long run when you compare the CAB 50 to the comfortbilt at basically the same price the CAB 50 is the better choice for build quality, parts availability and support.

I have a friend that bought the ComfortBilt last fall and really likes it. He has had no issues but then again only used one season so far. I might tend to agree with Rich on the CAB 50 though. Really just find the best deal you can.

I have a Hudson River Chatham model, which is an Enviro stove. A 55-pound hopper means that you will generally have to put in a bag a day, or possibly more, depending on conditions and quality of fuel. I don't find that onerous. What can be a challenge is that this stove needs cleaning every two or three days. The ash pan can go longer, but I always empty it while cleaning, because it's not difficult.

There are other stoves that can go longer between cleanings, I understand (this is my first stove, so far), so you may want to look to a brand other than Enviro. From what I can tell, the Enviro firebox is pretty much the same from model to model. I also know that other brands sell hopper extensions that accommodate quite a bit more pellets at a time.