Home insurance re:wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Home Owners Ins. They came out and took a few pics and asked a few questions after I installed. Ins didn't go up because I changed a fireplace to a free standing stove. I haven't heard anymore about it. It's been 4 or 5 years.

I've heard a lot about inspections lately from owners of older homes, with ins. cos asking for painting, etc. I think they are getting more difficult about stuff lately.

I have been up down and around with insurance companies more times then I care to remember. 80% of the time it is not the ins co or the local agent and yes there bad and good there, but the underwriter. Recently when my shop ins came due ( Erie- 10 years no claims) I was informed that they would not renew by my agent. Seemed strange, so I dug a little further ( I have a very good agent, but hey they are paid on commission) and what I came up with was a problem with the underwriter. Female recent college grad so wet behind the ears that you would need buckets to keep the floor dry. Anyway she took exception to the name of my shop, and denied the insurance. Now I wasn't about to change the name, she would'nt budge so I am now with Acuity, main office Sheboygan, WI.. As of my last count I figure I have caused about a 200k loss of revenue for Erie because of that snit. Acuity only required an inspection after install, sent someone out, figuring that( from previous experience) the person is going to be short on background ( wasn't disappointed in that respect) I had all the copies of state, national, and local codes , and as the old song goes 8x10 color photographs to back up my statements. Like someone else mentioned the guy got one hell of an education.

State Farm, came out took couple pictures and said stay warm.

I have Auto Owners on my house and cars in southern MI. They had to put a rider on my home when my PE was installed. It was called a "solid fuel" surcharge. It is $75 per year. My insurance agent also kept a copy of the fire inspectors permit & the building inspectors "sign off"/approval card. On top of these items, I also have to have the chimney cleaned every year. Most chimney sweeps will give you a receipt showing the work was done. I hand this over to my insurance agent. Read the language very carefully on the rider. Most have language that states you will not be burning when you are not home. Since I work during the day, I just let the stove burn down after I wake up in the AM. The house stays hot enough to keep my wife happy when she comes down to eat breakfast. In the evening when I get home there are always enough embers to get another load going. So I hope that is what they mean by "not burning". Oh well.

Littlespark

Man, I never even thought about insurance issues until I saw this thread. I just called our agent and she just said it's no problem having a stove, just get it installed by a licensed installer (and presumably under permit). Things like that can void your policy if you're not careful.

We have State Farm..We had an electical fire 5 yrs ago and lost everything, insurance paid to rebuild. We ask about putting in a stove since we had a fire before, and all they told us is it was fine as long as we had it installed acording to manufacturers installation instructions and we got the correct permits and have it inspected as code states. And our insurance would only be about $30 more a year.I HIGHLY recommend State Farm.

Update.
Been in contact with an agency right in town ( just over a mile away) and the owner came and did the inspection himself.
Stove's fine, install's fine and he actually did the inspection for the PO's, so he knew the setup (I explained how it's been upgraded). Took a couple pics and I got the quote a couple days ago. I'll be signing up in a few days, just before the old policy expires.
Virtually the same money (within pennies), and no hassle.
If I add the Jeep, that's more, but the house goes down. Pretty much a wash pricewise, so we'll keep the status quo there for now.
Oh, and I never did get a response from State Farm. Been with them for over 25 years for car ins., so not sure what that's all about.
Thanks to all who replied with ideas and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.