Home made fire starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Looking to make my own in the next few weeks. I have a bunch of wood chips from my planer and lint from the dryer. Just wondering how and what to use that is safe for the stove. I looked at multiple videos on YouTube and browsed Google. The stove is an enviro insert.

Do a search on "Starter" in this forum, title only. There are a lot of threads on the topic.

Put sawdust in cardboard egg cartons. Add melted wax. Break up once cool. Done.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
I'm a fan of those firestarters - they are a fun little project and work great.

If you need another "project" like a hole on the head, Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares work well. I've seen a pack of 144 for as low as $10 at Tractor Supply. They light right up and burn longer that you would think. I got a few of those as samples last year and they impressed me.

Reactions: John59DT
I've used sawdust, lint, and pine needles--all work great. Lint smells like burning hair, but that has more to do with living with 3 women and 3 cats. There is hair everywhere! Seriously, the egg carton, wax, and some tinder-like substrate is a winning combination.

If you need another "project" like a hole on the head, Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares work well.

I bought a pack of those mid way through last burn season. They don't light as easy or flame up as big as my homemade ones, but they're so cheap that I'll keep using them.

I'm a fan of those firestarters - they are a fun little project and work great.

If you need another "project" like a hole on the head, Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares work well. I've seen a pack of 144 for as low as $10 at Tractor Supply. They light right up and burn longer that you would think. I got a few of those as samples last year and they impressed me.

My favorite as well

I tried to make Amadou, like Otzi the Iceman carried, since we have loads of polypore mushrooms in our woods. This, my first attempt, isn't pretty but it works amazingly well. I forgot to take pics of the mushrooms before I started, but the chunks in the jar were younger white polypore mushrooms, probably Fomes Fomentarius. I've tried older or dead F. Fomentarius, but they yeild is not worth the effort. More will grow to replace the ones I've taken. As a Firestarter it works amazingly well. Maybe I'll even be able to make some leather.

Attachments

• 20200104_184256.jpg
    20200104_184256.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200104_184324.jpg
    20200104_184324.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 125
I tried to make Amadou, like Otzi the Iceman carried, since we have loads of polypore mushrooms in our woods. This, my first attempt, isn't pretty but it works amazingly well. I forgot to take pics of the mushrooms before I started, but the chunks in the jar were younger white polypore mushrooms, probably Fomes Fomentarius. I've tried older or dead F. Fomentarius, but they yeild is not worth the effort. More will grow to replace the ones I've taken. As a Firestarter it works amazingly well. Maybe I'll even be able to make some leather.
Your post required me to do a little internet research to make sure you hadn't actually eaten some of the mushrooms prior to writing the post. Now I'm a little more educated. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

I like white birch bark strips, it burns like it's been soaked in diesel. I bet the cave people liked it, too. Plus, I have, probably, a 20+ year supply of it.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
Your post required me to do a little internet research to make sure you hadn't actually eaten some of the mushrooms prior to writing the post. Now I'm a little more educated. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

I like white birch bark strips, it burns like it's been soaked in diesel. I bet the cave people liked it, too. Plus, I have, probably, a 20+ year supply of it.
The mushrooms are less smokey, it's also fun.

Last edited: