HOME-MADE HEARTHPAD QUESTIONS!!!???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.highandmighty

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
Western, Pa
Making my own hearth-pad. Need a 5' x 4' pad...mostly for looks!!!

3/4" Micore on floor
1/2" Durock
another 3/4 " Micore
another 1/2" Durock
3/4" slate on top

Should I add an airspace?

Any opinions gladly welcomed!

What's the stove, and what's the manufacturer's requirement for protection beneath the stove to a combustible floor? If all you need is ember protection, and the hearth is, as you say, mostly for looks, it seems to me your plan is overly complicated. Rick

Need a 1.5 for the pad. Bought a 4x10 sheet of micore and cut it in half...figured i would use it up rather than pitch it!!! Figured the durock for some rigidity...and to bond the slate.

Anyone know what 3/4" Micore is rated at. I found the 1/2" rating. I am guessing that the bigger...the better. But...in my years of experience in life, its not always the case!!

I think it's like r=2.33 per inch. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.