Homemade gasification furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
Manitoba
Have been reading this forum lately and thought i would seek some feedback of my own. I am building a wood boiler, because my old, smokey OWB has sprung more leaks than a watering can. I dont feel like doing another repair job in -30 celsius again like last year. Water and a deep freeze dont make for good company.
We put a 3200 gallon steel tank in an insulated building and then insulated the tank again for extra heat savings. Inside the tank I put a cleaver brooks boiler with the outer shell cut off at strategic areas. The 3200 steel tank basically becomes the boilers storage tank. This is going to be a non pressurized system so no worries about going boom in the middle of the night.
On the front of the big tank we built a forced downdraft gasification burner, which fires it 2000+ F flame via a 3 foot refractory lined chamber into the cleaver brooks. The majority of the stove is lined with refractory to keep temps up inside and down outside.
It has 2 air inlets, one for primary combustion and one for the gasification chamber. All the air is preheated and moved with a 550 cfm blower at the exhaust outlet. Cooler there i hope.
Is there any thing else i should be considering before we bolt this thing together and fire her up? Any info would be appreciated.

Hoo boy. Any reason you didn't just use the tank as a pressurized external?

Pressure relief valves. Pressure test the whole shootin match. Where did you get the gasifier?

Sounds like fun- can't wait to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.