Homemade Splitter on CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
I'd like to see this in action.

Log splitter - $200 (NE Alabama)
01111_aUCjJFlitAA_600x450.jpg

An old home made log splitter. Powered by a tractor pto. Looks rough but works well.

I would vote to fab up a mount and put a separate small engine on there. Unless you have a really fuel efficient tractor, I feel like the wear and tear on a bigger machine wouldnt be worth it. But thats just my thought without knowing how hard it would be to change things!

I think that the I beam is bent, not worth too much like that.

The beam does appear to be bent at the wedge. That won't heal itself. The pump is a single stage that will probably take some HP to build any pressure (hence the PTO). To convert that to a stand alone you would need motor, pump and new beam. Basically - you would be building one from scratch with a couple of usable parts from the original. I can't tell what it has for a tank and control valve.

Moral of the story - unless you are willing to use it as it stands and just accept it for what it is, walk away. Just one dudes opinion.

Yeah, probably better to start from scratch. Guessing a real gnarly round bend the I beam behind the wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.