Homeowners insurance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevolpe

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
southeastern Pa
When I got my Homeowners insurance Policy last year we had an open fireplace. Now we have an Insert. (Lopi answer installed by the stove shop with 6" liner) Would this have any effect on my Insurace premium? I think it would be safer to burn now, but I use it more now so maybe its not safer. Should I tell my insurance company?

Thanks
Mike

Varies on insurance company. I called mine - you should. It's not like it's going to go up by anything significant. I doubt they would deny a claim unless there was specific text in the agreement about telling them, but even still..

Insurance companies are funny . . . from my experience and from what I've read here . . . some have issues with woodstoves, but not with fireplaces . . . some have no issues with woodstoves and inserts and you see zero change in the policy . . . other times the rates go up . . . sometimes they'll say you're good to burn . . . othertimes they'll send a rep or require a professional inspection. It really depends on the indvidual insurance company.

There has been some debate as to whether you need to tell them of any changes. My own opinon . . . why risk a denial of coverage? I called my company . . . no change in rates . . . just had to have the stove professionally installed and inspected by the Fire Department.

A few years back my parents had their house burn . . . never told the insurance company of a few facts . . . such as the fact they were using an outdoor woodboiler for their primary heat . . . or that they had added an enclosed pool. The insurance company paid them . . . but denied the full replacement value because of these facts . . . only gave them X number of dollars.

I have Citizens ins. here in MI. They had a form for me to fill out...wanted to make sure it was inspected. My premium went up by $50-$75 a year.

When I got insurance on my cabin up in the mountains most companies denied me because I was x miles from the fire department, it was log cabin, and my woodstove was my primary means of heat. Insurance companies appearantly don't like odds on woodstoves in remote log cabins. For awhile my agent had me thinking I wasn't going to be able to insure the place. One company intended on insuring me and sent a rep out for a full inspection, after the rep realized the cabin was 11 miles off on a dirt road, looked at the deadfall in the forest surrounding my cabin (although I have a decent defence line), then realized I was completly off grid with propane lighting, he did not even come in the house. He said his company would not insure the location, and he went even further to say that if I intended on geting the place insured I had better not be so honest. But, finally we found a company who even with all the facts, simply asked to see pictures of the cabin and of the woodstove. They insured it no problem, its been insured eversince, allbeit at a higher priemum. My nearst neighbor, also offgrid, 1 mile down the road, had to install a complete forced air systems just so that he could say the woodstove was backup heat. (this was really a waist because you can't run it for any period of time unless your RE system is gigantic) All I can say is don't streach the truth with the insurace companies, make sure they have all the correct info. In my expericence you will have enough problems trying to collect on claims as it is, don't give them a reason to deny you or pay less.

My local insurance agent came over with a two-page form in hand. Together, we made at least 50 measurements and compared them with specifications in the owners manual. He then sent that form in to the national office. I guess everything was OK because I never heard back from them and my premium didn't go up. But, then again, I was very careful to follow all of the clearances in the owners manual. Also, in this part of Canada, everyone heats with wood so an insurance company would have to find some serious defects with the instalation to deny coverage. Otherwise, they would quickly be out of business.
ChipTam

Called my Allstate agent and she said the company will not inspect the installation and doesn't need my Code Compliance Certificate or any other certifying paperwork. However, my premium increased $25 per year.

Would recommend you let your insurance company know what you have done. This way you are all on the same page and the company cannot charge you with "hiding the truth" if a problem should occur later on.

Best Wishes,

John_M

I noticed you are in the same area. When I got my woodstove last year, I called and there was no change. Better safe than sorry, I say. Who is your company?

I spoke to my agent and he wasnt too concerned he said there was no inspection needed and there would not be a premium change.

Mike

I spoke to my agent and he wasnt too concerned he said there was no inspection needed and there would not be a premium change. I am with NAtionwide

Mike

I called my Agent and the key factors were the stove had to by UL tested and it is a backup system. They sent out a solid fuel burning pamphet. I followed those guidelines. There was no adjustment in my premium.

For my insurance company (Patrons Oxford) I have to have the fire department come out for an inspection and then I need to fax the certificate to them and fill out a form. I'll be making the appointment today with the fire department.

Status
Not open for further replies.