Homestead install Thursday: Break-in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi There,
Our new Homestead is being installed Thursday, and I would like to know a bit more about break-in. Since it will be installed in the afternoon, can I run two quick fires the same day and start running it Friday for the weekend? Also, what are the temps I should keep it to for break-in and is there anything special I need to do when re-lighting it after a week off (it will only be used for weekends).

Thanks!

SML

i just broke in our phoenix. similar stove, we just lit a small fire in the morning and again in the evening the same day. then agin a few more times the same, maybe the 5th or sixth time we added some more wood. this week we are using it more so i bought a thermometer and placed it on top on the center stone and it reads just above 300. haven't had it cranked up yet, i can still smell that new stove smell. maybe its the pipe that comes out of the stove that is still burning the paint off ? good luck with your stove , im going to continue to build small to medium fires for a whyle till i get the hang of this new one, pete

you want to let the stones go COOL between fires. it has to cycle warm-cool-warmer-cool - pretty hot - let it dwell & come down a bit, and THEN you can pile on.

one of the big purposes of the break-in's is to drive off internal moisture from the soapstone. it collects over time - decades / years / months. the honing & polishing process in the mfr of the stove uses a lot of water, too.

and then of course, there's the fitment of the stones and the cast framework, which expand and contract at MUCH different rates, and the curing of the enamel, and a few other lesser things...

you heat it up slowly and it gradually dries out the stones, without introducing a lot of stresses to the stones.

if it sits for a week, i wouldn't consider it a major concern. not much moisture gonna get absorbed deep into the stones in 5 or 6 days. you won't be able to heat it up from "stone cold" fast enough to cause a problem. :)

Thanks, guys! Any other tips anyone?

S

Follow the manual. It gives specific instructions on break in and you can download it from the HS site. You NEED to buy a stove top thermometer to monitor the temps from the break in fire all the way to the full blast fire. The smaller stone stoves are more likely to crack than the larger ones and you want to be diligent about not overfiring.

The break in smells are not like paint burning as much as hot rock smells. To me it was like a pancake griddle getting hot. Not real bad at all. Now if you are using single wall stove pipe then that pipe will make some smell.

Be sure that the loose wool blanket on your baffle is properly installed. Take your time. One break in fire a day. You only have one chance to get this right.

And for drying out loud, take some pics for us. We love pics.

Highbeam (or anyone else),
Which thermometer should I be using? I assume the magnetic ones won't work because it's going on stone, not metal?

S

Not quite sure if it applies to wood stoves/inserts. But I used to deliver appliances, in the dead of winter we would tell people getting an oven to wait at least a few hours for the glass to warm to room temp, because the thermal shock would shatter the glass. Might not be a concern but something to consider.

My manual for my new Heritage said almost nothing about the break-in procedure. It told me how to build one, but it didn't say anything about cycling through a few break-in fires. I had to rely on the dealer and you guys to tell me about that one. I gave myself 3 days, 3 break-in fires, each one a little hotter than the one before, before getting it up to 400 F on the stovetop.

Congrats on the new stove!

A magnetic thermometer will work just fine, it just won't stick. I use a rutland meter but a condar and any of the others would work too. These stoves have low overfire temps.

Oh and don't scratch the stone with the meter. Set it there and leave it.

I thought the heritage manual did a fine job of describing the break in fires. Maybe they changed it?

I guess they must have. It says to follow the break-in procedure carefully, but then only lists how to light one break-in fire. It seems to imply only one is necessary.

Looking at the homestead manual, it says to do it for two break-in fires (but it shouldn't hurt to do one or two more).

How'd you get yourself to an R=6.6 (or 2.5 for the 6" legs) for the hearth requirement? That number is pretty high compared to the other hearthstones...

hubisz said:
How'd you get yourself to an R=6.6 (or 2.5 for the 6" legs) for the hearth requirement? That number is pretty high compared to the other hearthstones...

I ended up with the longer legs and then used two pieces of Micore, 160 I think, it has a lower r value than Micore 300 (it would have been great but couldn't find it anywhere local.) I was trying to get my floor protection level with my floor but had to settle for a bit of a raised hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.