Homestead rescue creosote maker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
Anyone watch that homestead rescue show on Discovery channel? Anyway they showed the host homestead cabin/house. It’s like a bunch of elbow and added pipe off wood stove. It’s never been mentioned. I think I might’ve seen it with the Alaskan bush family too. Those shows always make it like the wood comes from Forrest to stove within hours. I get the feeling they're all BS.

Reactions: fbelec
FE2A7E89-BD35-4E00-A5A8-CFDD1703146C.jpeg

Looks like a stack robbing creosote dream on an old BK.

3191E46B-4E31-456A-A792-BE93CBA4BE2F.jpeg
They just talked about it. Helps with heating!

I feel bad for this guy's wife that has to deal with a house full of fine creo particulate when the single wall is cleaned.

Watch this show a lot, and get a good laugh out of it having grown up in the country. I like the family, they seem down to earth. Definitely surprised he doesn’t know better, but I see a lot of sketchy wood stove installs on these Alaska based shows...

Reactions: moresnow and Rob711
Watched one show where they were putting in a chimney (not homestead rescue)
They used a 6inch well casing I guess it is whatever works

6 inch well casing! that must be a heavy chimney

I drive by a place on occasion that has a lenght of uninsulated 10" Stainless Steel pipe for a chimney. Its not a lined stainless steel wood stove chimney, it looks to be Sch 10 SS pipe, no doubt from a local papermill.