Honest wood sellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrems

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2013
Danbury CT
www.epichomebrew.com
I'm a first season burner so I haven't had a chance to start my wood supply yet. I have tried to get wood a few times locally and they all say the same thing " it's well seasoned, almost a year". Aparently almost a year could mean 2 hours. One guys wood was basically weeping water like it was cut a few hours before it was delivered. I had to tell him I didn't want it. I reluctantly took about half a cord from another guy 20-25% moisture. Burns ok when mixed with pallet wood. I'll let you know how the next delivery goes, this seller told me he has very long time customers for wood and offered references. He said everything he sells is split and seasoned 3 years. He offered a WHOLE CORD for free to get me as a customer. No strings attached. He seems to be pretty proud of his wood. Hopefully it's good stuff. Maybe I found the last honest seller out there!

Reactions: Beer Belly
The 20-25% wood should burn just fine if that is measured on the inside face of a fresh re-split.

Honest has nothing to do with dryness. Just measure. Those guys can't afford to have the stuff stacked sitting around for years. Seasoned has always meant a year and has nothing to do with dryness. If you are buying wood you buy it far enough ahead to make sure it is dry by the time you need to burn it.

Reactions: dylskee
Seasoned is a vague term, you should be taking whatever you can get and let it season on your property for a couple years, that way you'll know it's seasoned.

There seems to be a script, and it goes "mixed hardwoods, on the ground two years, and bark-off". That generally had little to do with what was delivered. I'll sometimes check the for sale ads on CL, and I did see a guy selling an "honest cord", and that was was based on the size of the trailer he pulled. Given the square dimensions, the trailer held two cords. I'm sure there's a loss between thrown and stacked, but he had pics of the rig so it was a welcome relief.

I can't imagine a firewood seller saying,"I'm sorry I can't sell you that pile over there, it's only been sitting there 2 years".
No one can stock pile hundreds of cords of split firewood for 3 years. If you find someone that
actually brings you a full cord, stick with that guy.

Last edited:
message sent.....

I've found that "honest knowledgeable wood sellers" are much like "great humble white basketball players."

Reactions: smithm1979
I sell a lot of wood each year mostly ash. I sell it stacked by the face cord and pickup only. I let the buyers know when it was CSS and go from there most of it is 6 to 18 months CSS. Would I burn it in my stove probably not as I prefer at least 2 years but the wood I sell I can't get it seasoned any more than that because it sells so quick. I sold my last face cord last week and have a few calls since then it's amazing how many people
That heat with wood are unprepared and don't have there wood before the cold weather hits

Reactions: JustWood
Have you started racking and stacking for next year yet? If not, why not? Are you hoping the wood sellers will be more honest next year?

I am working on it for next year , I already started collecting wood, the neghbors just had a large maple cut down and the tree company was more than happy to leave me the whole tree. They just limbed it and chipped the branches. It's probably one cord once split. I have been loading up my car when I see piles by the road cut by the utilities. Trying to get self sufficient, hopefully I only need to buy wood this year.

Getting to the ideal point with wood can take a lot of work and a lot of time. But once you get there, you'll wonder why it took you so long and once you get there, then it is a matter of gathering only one year at a time from then out. You'll have lots less problems with the wood and the stove. There are many other benefits but it can be difficult for some to understand until they once try it. Then there is no turning back.

Status
Not open for further replies.