Honey, did you hear something up in the attic.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Anything less than 6 feet long people treat like geese. It’s still unnerving to Kansan/northerner. The City park rents paddle boats and there are usually 10 or more gators in the lake. They swim up to the dock looking for food.

I want a video of it going up the stairs.

I’m going to make sure I shut my doors.

It’s the unexpected that gets you in attic inspections! A flying squirrel, about chipmunk size, jumping out by your head will get you excited.

I can’t imagine an alligator!

or a flying alligator jumping out by your head !!!;lol

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
It’s the unexpected that gets you in attic inspections! A flying squirrel, about chipmunk size, jumping out by your head will get you excited.
I grew up with this. My sister had tamed flying squirrels she raised from birth. The owl silently flying by at night when I went for a pee as a kid was a lot more unnerving. Fortunately, she hasn't taken up any alligator collecting even though she lives in this area now.

Bats don't scare me, but I do get startled when they suddenly fly away when I get near and did not see them before.

A bat flying around a small attic with you isn't fun either, lol. I haven't had an owl dive bomb me. I'm ok with that!

Reactions: stoveliker
I have had them in the attic around me. Much better than a bird (dumb animals in comparison to bats).
I've had (red-tailed-like) hawks divebomb me when hiking. APparently a nest nearby. Hiking stick up as close to the head as possible, otherwise you'll have blood running down your face (at least, with my hair coverage up there...)

My brother was fishing on the dock and an eagle tried to land on him. He ducked just as it tried to grab his head and it fell in the water! 🤣

Back in high school I was fishing in Florida and caught a grunt. A pelican thought he should have it and charged me. Scared the daylight out of me! Lol.

A bat flying around a small attic with you isn't fun either, lol. I haven't had an owl dive bomb me. I'm ok with that!
I had a big barn owl come right at me when I was 8. The dog had it good and nervous then I showed up in the hay loft. It was a good size barn. It had enough room to fly and headed straight for me. All I remember was seeing the talons and ducking and getting hit by a wing.

To this day I believe it’s the only barn owl anyone has seen on the property in a good 40 years. Always had great horn med owls around though.

• Wow
I had a big barn owl come right at me when I was 8. The dog had it good and nervous then I showed up in the hay loft. It was a good size barn. It had enough room to fly and headed straight for me. All I remember was seeing the talons and ducking and getting hit by a wing.

To this day I believe it’s the only barn owl anyone has seen on the property in a good 40 years. Always had great horn med owls around though.
Barn owls are considered to be magical creatures, and they are associated with magic and witchcraft. They are also said to have some connection with death and rebirth, which is why they can be seen as omens of change. To some cultures, they are considered a bridge or messenger from the other side.

And to science they are beautiful and efficient vermin removers.

I like Barred owls. Since they ask, "Who cooks for you?" I associate them with food. And well bars, but I don't go to them often anymore.

They are beautiful and beneficial birds.

My father told me a funny story when I was a kid, about the time he and a friend went to house sit at an uncle's old farm house, where we all used to hunt when I was growing up. The house was built around 1720, used as a hospital during the Rev. war, where a few soldiers were at least temporarily interred in the basement. So, the kids in the family used to always like to tell stories of the house being haunted, although my uncle who spent all of his 94 years in the house will tell you that was all BS.

In any case, my then-teenage father and his neighbor friend were left alone in this house, to watch the pets and animals, while my uncle and his family were on a trip to Virginia. At the time (mid-1950's), the house was still heated solely by wood, had no internal plumbing, and I suspect it had not even been wired for telephone service. As night sets in, these two teenage boys alone in the house start hearing noises in the attic. Every once in awhile, they'd hear something go rattling down through a wall cavity from the attic to the second or first floor level, but most of the noise is in the attic. In their minds, they're picturing Jacob Marley up there, dragging his chains around the attic.

My grandfather apparently decided to check in on them late that evening, and found both boys huddled in the front foyer with shotguns, probably too afraid to go upstairs to sleep, but also too afraid to venture outside into the night alone (the house was pretty remote). My grandfather went up to the attic, swung a flashlight around up there, and discovered a few squirrels had gotten in. The noises they'd been hearing were the squirrels batting walnuts around on the attic floor, and every once in awhile one would find its way into a wall cavity. I think my dad had to endure getting teased about the "ghosts" for a few years, after that.

I was young enough when I heard the story, it honestly could have been raccoons, but my memory tells me squirrels.

They’ll make quite a racket too! Everything also sounds huge at night when there isn’t any other noise.

Reactions: Ashful
explain why you would leave a door open where you know there are gators and then not knowing a 10 footer is walking up your stairs into your attic.some people deserve to be eaten

explain why you would leave a door open where you know there are gators and then not knowing a 10 footer is walking up your stairs into your attic.some people deserve to be eaten
but that is for another post 😁