Honey Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
I have a bit in my arsenal of fuel for the season. First time for me.
What's your experience with it? I noticed the growth rings are not as tight as black locust.
How long do you let it season? BTU ratings? Any others it compares to?

Honeylocust (Gleditsia) is a top tier firewood at 23.7 MBTUs/ cord. It takes long time (2+ years) to season.
It burns slow and steady, and best to light on hot coals.
Wild honeylocust has nasty spines but there is plenty of thornless honeylocust around from landscape removals.

Reactions: all night moe
I have been lucky on occasion to burn this wood. It's great firewood, but similar to coal, it very dense and takes some heat to get it burning. It puts out a lot of heat once going and often burns with a blue flame.

I have been lucky on occasion to burn this wood. It's great firewood, but similar to coal, it very dense and takes some heat to get it burning. It puts out a lot of heat once going and often burns with a blue flame.
So I would say this mirrors black locust. The greater area I live in is loaded with the black. Grows like weeds. I have a bunch of clod growth surrounding half my house. One has to be 6' in dia. Unfortunately, most are infested with rot and black ants. Scary enough to not want t
to climb. That's why they're still standing.

I love the blue flames. Off gassing in burn mode.

Honey Locust is softer than its sister Black Locust. The Thornless variety is softer yet. I have all three in my area. Honey will dry faster than the denser Black and burn faster. The wild Honey Locust I tend to leave alone as the massive 4" -6" thorns get you just by looking at them.

Honey Locust is softer than its sister Black Locust. The Thornless variety is softer yet. I have all three in my area. Honey will dry faster than the denser Black and burn faster. The wild Honey Locust I tend to leave alone as the massive 4" -6" thorns get you just by looking at them.
This coincides with the larger growth rings I previously mentioned.