Hooking stove pipe to ceiling support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Booter

Jan 31, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone

First time poster.... just bought a place and it has a chimney already installed...I am trying to figure out how to connect my stove pipe to the ceiling support and can't figure out how to do it...it is for 6 inch pipe but it won't fit and there is nowhere to even connect with screws or whatever to the ceiling support. I also bought a chimney adapter for double wall pipe but it doesn't fit either...any ideas?

I'm trying go figure out how to upload some pics but can't figure it out...
Without pics there isn't much we can tell you. Just click the attach files button

Here are the pics

Attachments

• 20210201_105216.jpg
    20210201_105216.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 247
  • 20210201_124854.jpg
    20210201_124854.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 20210201_124905.jpg
    20210201_124905.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 206
Looks like a 8 to 6" reducer on the ceiling side, also looks like your trying to mix and match single wall and double wall pipe, thats not going to work.

Add some pics from the attic space and outdoors. That's confusing.

Looks like a 8 to 6" reducer on the ceiling side, also looks like your trying to mix and match single wall and double wall pipe, thats not going to work.

Thanks for your reply...can you explain an 8 to 6" reducer (excuse my ignorance)....i am only using double wall stove pipe.

That is not a 6 to 8 reducer it is the support box

I see screw holes in there. Can you take off the trim pieces from below to expose the stub. Somebody screwed into that stub before and they needed access from the side.

If you could find any markings to indicate the brand of chimney it would help a lot. Can you see anything on the chimney where it runs through the attic?

Looks like the ceiling box has a collar that can slide down over the pipe you are connecting, screw the pipe in and slide the collar back up. Not sure but try that..

Looks like the ceiling box has a collar that can slide down over the pipe you are connecting, screw the pipe in and slide the collar back up. Not sure but try that..

Its a bit of a pain to get into the attic but I guess that's the only option I have left

A deeper stainless steel connector is needed, it clips into the bottom of the class A and the top of the dvl

Reactions: marty319
We've been waiting for the attic and outside pics! You may even find identification on some of the components in the attic.

Is the stove pipe and the chimney/support all the same brand? Is the taller black stove pipe double wall? Did you try and install it as it sits? It appears to be upside down.

Kinda looks like my setup

Attachments

• 20210202_101450.jpg
    20210202_101450.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 238
Is the stove pipe and the chimney/support all the same brand? Is the taller black stove pipe double wall? Did you try and install it as it sits? It appears to be upside down.
The double wall pictured appears oriented correctly. When there is a stove pipe adaptor hanging from the chimney support you slide the double wall up onto the stove pipe adaptor and screw it. Put the finishing band on to cover the crimped outer pipe and away you go. The setup pictured is new to me or maybe missing components?
The OP should not be hooking to it without inspecting the attic configuration and roof penetration either way. In my opinion.

The double wall pictured appears oriented correctly. When there is a stove pipe adaptor hanging from the chimney support you slide the double wall up onto the stove pipe adaptor and screw it. Put the finishing band on to cover the crimped outer pipe and away you go. The setup pictured is new to me or maybe missing components?
The OP should not be hooking to it without inspecting the attic configuration and roof penetration either way. In my opinion.

Ya I have a feeling I need an adapter and I don't know which one....the one I bought definitely doesn't work.

It does look similar to yours...did yours have an adapter that you needed to use?
Chimney sits inside that up in the attic.then attach stove pipe to chimney