Hope this is Black Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Howdy All,
A friend texted me that he saw a lot of wood cut up by the road. I replied it would be nice to know the species, so he shot back some pics. It seemed to fit the bill. I went at 9:05 pm (after I'd cleaned up the splitting area - a story for another post). I figured it had to belong to somebody or if it was BL it'd be gone when I got there.

When I found the place, there was a sign that said "free wood". There was room to park off the side of the road! So I filled up. The tree was 30"+ diameter, and somehow the blocked pieces were split in thirds so I could lift them. I may go back Tuesday to see if anything is left. Who knows...

DSCN0683.JPG DSCN0681.JPG

Color is off a bit on my viewer but yes sure looks correct for BL. If it's kinda yellow on a fresh split face then definitely. Great score particular for already being in people size chunks.

Agree, black locust. Definitely get more if you can. It's great firewood once seasoned.

Bark looks like BL but the visible split face looks strange to me. How about another split face in sunlight, and end grain pic?

Black Locust for sure. Can't believe they cut it and knocked it into 1/3s - Sweet score.

Ah nothing like id-ing BL in the morning!

That is Black Locust and will be longest burning wood in your stack.

Thanks everybody! I'm going to put the saw, maul and wedges in the truck and head back because some of the chunks looked too massive to handle and are likely to still be there.

The daylight helped me confirm that they SAWED these things into "splits". What's odd to me is that they weren't phenomenally heavy.

DSCN0685.JPG DSCN0684.JPG

they SAWED these things into "splits". What's odd to me is that they weren't phenomenally heavy.
Yeah, that's what I'm tallkin' bout! Grab it all, now! ==c Maybe that first split face looked odd to me because it was sawn. 30" is a big'un. Take your saw for sure, could be some tough splittin'. Yessir, that stuff is heavy even when dry. Those folks must have some arms on 'em if they said it wasn't too heavy. <>

Last edited:
I counted the rings and the one piece is about 60 yrs. I've never seen BL that old. In another thread, people are suggesting planting BL for a fast growing harvest. Gee, my BL is 30 yr old and about 12 to 14".

Locust has shallow roots but it coppices like aspen. I want to plant it. And I hate burning it. You never know when you plant something if its gonna like where it is.
My father bought Bittersweet thru Soil and Water dept and that Sh*t is taking over the farm. It has become dangerously invasive.
Some people think Black Locust is invasive.
That stuff sure grows a lot of bark.

Locust has shallow roots but it coppices like aspen. I want to plant it. And I hate burning it. You never know when you plant something if its gonna like where it is.
My father bought Bittersweet thru Soil and Water dept and that Sh*t is taking over the farm. It has become dangerously invasive.
Some people think Black Locust is invasive.
That stuff sure grows a lot of bark.

Why do you hate burning it?

The heavier the wood - the longer the burn - the more BTUs

I agree Doug, but last year I processed a live cut Silver Maple that whupped my arse. Heavy and impossible to split with the 5 ton. Then it dried light as balsa! <>

Yessir, that stuff is heavy even when dry. Those folks must have some arms on 'em if they said it wasn't too heavy. <>

Well, it was me that said they weren't too heavy. I've been dealing with large white oak rounds all winter, and they must be stuffed full of dark matter!! I guess it's all "compared to what?" ;) This stuff is a welcome relief.

I've found some punk, but that makes sense when something gets cut down. I ran out of room when it came to the last two giant rounds. They weren't split at all, so if anything stays there a while it'll be them. Here are some picks of the completed score. I overstated the diameter - it was around 24" at the base. Some of these "splits" are 24-30" long, so somebody wanted to get done in a hurry, and I don't blame them. I'll get this stuff split quickly as I imagine it'll get tough when dry.

DSCN0689.JPG DSCN0688.JPG

If it was me I would plan that pile as one of your "overnight in January" stacks. If you split the overnighters on the large side.(for the coldest nights)
There are different schools of thought here, some that say it takes years to dry locust and Im one of the idiots who think I can get it seasoned in one year.
6 months is major wishful thinking, however. So you can split larger and by next winter...it should be good!! >>

Why do you hate burning it?
I dont like the smoke it gives off when its burning. The volitile esters or chemical constituents. Something wicked this way comes...
Sugar maple has the same BTUs and is a far better choice aroma wize. My sister feels quite the opposite, she hunts for locust on craigslist, fighting others to get to the "Great Black Locust".
Its a personal thing, I would say, and its just me but locust smells like burning tires. Its a smell thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.