Hopping up a Hudson River!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

After beefing up a Breckwell it is time to Supe up a Saranac with Nylatron! I found a fix for the "Fire YoYo" effect. The fire was going up and down on heat level 3 like a YoYo!
Has anyone else tried this?

The West Point and the Saranac have the same auger and the same old tired and gunked up brass bearing!

Sure you can clean the brass bearing and soak it in light machine oil once a year to keep it up to snuff, but if you don't and the pellets may jam and the auger motor can crap out! If the same auger motor on a Whitfield lasts 15 years then why not this?

Many of the older Whitfields have an upgraded Nylatron auger bearing. I have seen these bearings on 15 - 19 year old Whits with the original auger motor!

Ok, so why not a HRWP or Saranac? If you drill two holes in the aftermarket EndPlate with the Nylatron Bearing it fits! Now the auger turns as smooth as silk!

One of the original bolts that hold the endplate broke coming out. It was not Stainless Steel!
Therefore replacing the 1/4-20 bolts with Stainless Steel bolts is the way to go!
Using a spring loaded center punch to get the new endplate holes in the right place is also the way to do it right!

Here are the pics of a Saranac with the snorkel on the room blower that makes it a tight fit but it does fit!

Pic 1 - Brass bearing is nasty and gummy after 3 or 4 years! Who needs it?
Pic 2 - Original bearing plate, brass bearing, auger, auger motor.
Pic 3 - Auger, Orig EndPlate and Nylatron Bearing. Nylatron Bearing is too big for Orig End Plate.
Orig EndPlate could be reamed out, but would need a machine shop.
Pic 4 - Tracing holes from orig endplate to Nylatron Bearing with it's own EndPlate.
Pic 5 - Drill a small hole 1st
Pic 6 - Then drill the 1/4" hole to ream it out.
Pic 7 - Clean out the auger chute
Pic 8 - Dry Moly!
Pic 9 - Clean the top Auger bearing and punch the new bolt holes in the rubber gasket that comes with the new endplate. Don't forget to oil the top bearing so the auger is swimming in it! Alot less friction!
Pic 10 - New Hi Performance Gleason Avery motor and new Nylatron bearing and enplate installed!

IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0237.JPG IMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:
1 more pic

Pic 11 - Orig Auger polished with wire brush on drill driver to remove carbon. Pimples of slag(Auger Pox) ground down and auger coated with high temp "Dry Moly" spray!

Pic 12 - With orig auger motor and beating, After installing the new ignitor, the stove works. Pellet feeding is choppy and the old tired paint is faded and gold door looks worn!

NO MORE Fire YoYo ! ! ! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 213
  • NoMoreFireYoYo.jpg
    NoMoreFireYoYo.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
The results are in and the pellet feeding is much more consistant. Not choppy like with the old gummed up brass bearing.

Also to get the value in, I had to sand the gold on the fire door out! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 202
I think I'd step up another level and install a shielded ball or roller bearing and never have any more concerns.

I think I'd step up another level and install a shielded ball or roller bearing and never have any more concerns.

What do you mean? Do you have pics of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.