Hot double wall pipe on Harmon Oakwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

willy0527

Dec 31, 2017
Oregon
I have just gotten a new high efficiency stove, Harmon Oakwood and am experiencing a seriously hot chimney pipe which is confusing me, because it has always been warm to the touch but never this hot. I cannot even touch it.

The Stove pipe themometer is reading 200 degree's but yet the pipe is so hot that I am baffled....
I am having a hard time getting the system into secondary combustion at the ideal temperatures except for the first hour of a cold start up. Once I have a very large coal base things get all wonky...

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Doug

Surface thermometers on double wall pipe are pretty much useless, they basically tell you if you have a fire lit or not.

Your flue gasses are probably at least 3-4x as hot as a surface measurement. Single wall flue gases are often double the surface temp.

If I take an IR thermometer to my double wall with my stove nice and hot, I read between 160F(close to ceiling) and 240F(above the stove collar) so 200F sounds about right. Double wall is just that, it's not insulated. The air gap between the walls still allows the surface to get pretty warm. Generally I can touch it briefly without getting burnt.

So this is a double wall connecting pipe correct? How are the temperatures being read when you refer to the stovepipe thermometer? As mentioned if this is a magnet thermometer it is useless for double wall. You need a probe thermometer inserted through a small hole in the double wall pipe to accurately read flue gases.

Pictures pictures pictures. Really help us here to help you out.

Unknown type of pipe.

Unknown method of temp measuring & equipment used.

Unknown location of measuring - chimney pipe? Or stove pipe?

Watching...

Selkirk Double walled stainless pipe, with a probe thermometer.
sorry need to upload photos from my phone will do as soon as I have some time.

Something seems a bit off. 200 with a probe thermometer should make for fairly cool surface temps on the outside of double wall. Can you verify the thermometer in a pot of boiling water?

Agreed temps are off unless this is centigrade. Ignoring the probe reading what it sounds like is incomplete secondary combustion or secondary combustion is taking place in the stove pipe if it's happening at all.

The Oakwood can be a fussy beast to get running right and it can be draft sensitive. Describe the flue system on the stove from stove to chimney cap including any turns. Also, this stove needs fully seasoned wood to work correctly. When was the wood split and stacked?

branchburner is a seasoned Oakwood owner, you might search for his past threads and comments. He has made good suggestions for operation of this stove.