Hot retrostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The fan control is not technically needed. You could use a simple switch rated at the correct amperage. The issue is having speed control. The fan control is needed for that. The other issue is that there is a reason its getting hot. I'd try the new switch to see if that shows the same symptoms. The controller is probably the weakest link in the system so it would get hot 1st. If you remove it without finding the overheat problem you could overheat the power cord. A fan control without an on/off function may have used as a safeguard. In that instance the disk controls the on/off. That would insure that the blower is running when the stove is hot to prevent overheating the stove.

Many thanks to everyone for helping me. Everything is connected and the fan runs as it should. I still have no speed control so I am going to order a replacement for the retrostat. At least I know the fan will work and I can install the insert instead of it just sitting in the den.
Thanks again

Something like this should work. You'll want to get a fan control. As long as it fits in the box it should work. Then it's a matter of whether you want infinite control or stepped speed settings.

Screenshot_20201231-081036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thanks for the info. You were correct in the wiring. If I bypass the retrostat the motor runs on high speed. If I go through the retrostat it is a slow speed with no adjustability. Progess is being made finally.
I am replacing the cord around the doors and the glass. Broke off a couple of hold down screws so heading to the hardware store.
I have ordered the part you recommended and it will be here on Sunday.
Thanks again for your help

Something like this should work. You'll want to get a fan control. As long as it fits in the box it should work. Then it's a matter of whether you want infinite control or stepped speed settings.

View attachment 270835
I received the part and installed it. It worked as advertised twice. Now it doesn't work at all. Not sure why. I bypassed the thermodisk and have the fan on high. The thermostat should control the fan turning on when it should. Pi can also unplug the unit if needed.