Hot Water Heater Advice - EDIT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Somewhere I saw one plumbed with shut off valves on both hot and cold. What's the benefit of one on the hot side?

When you change the heater out you can avoid draining either hot or cold plumbing systems.

I only put the valve on the cold inlet because my water heater is not in a basement. I also put my expansion tank right on top of the water tank with a tee. I installed the cheap expansion tank just in case since I am on a well with 4-80 gallon expansion tanks but what if some fool shuts a valve?

I am on a well with 4-80 gallon expansion tanks but what if some fool shuts a valve?
Community well?
If not...kinda limits who that fool could be...;) ::-)

Reactions: johneh and SpaceBus
Community well?
If not...kinda limits who that fool could be...;) ::-)

I did mean the fool would be me! I am on a shared well though so in theory, the tanks could be shut off without my knowledge. I also look at the little tank as a water hammer arrestor for when some fool slams a valve shut. More cushion is good. Those washing machine valves shut hard.

Mine is on the cold line in.
image.jpg

That's a expansion tank for the hot water, because water expands when it's heated. It could help Cushion the pipe hammer form the washer machine. I know mines a lot quieter but I replaced some pipes and all the pipe hangers

Got it in. One of the fittings gave me fits trying to solder onto the older pipe, but I finally got that tight. Nice water heater! I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks all - as usual, this forum is great!

Reactions: brenndatomu
You will like the dehumidifying feature ,i dont think most people consider this. that will save you moneyas well . In some case i think it woul dcompletely eliminate the need for a seperate dehumidifier. My dehumidifier runs about 75 to 85% less since i got my HPWH. But we do use a lot of HW so it runs a lot.

You will like the dehumidifying feature ,i dont think most people consider this. that will save you moneyas well . In some case i think it woul dcompletely eliminate the need for a seperate dehumidifier. My dehumidifier runs about 75 to 85% less since i got my HPWH. But we do use a lot of HW so it runs a lot.
I havent fired my dehumidifier up this year yet...I'm saying I won't need to either, because it has already been really hot and humid out, basement is fine.

So here's the finished project. It's heating water and dehumidifying the basement like a champ!

One mistake: I didn't install a T with a screw in plug at the top of the condensate line. That would have allowed periodic flushing/disinfecting that portion of PVC. Guess I can always add it later, if it starts to grow things.

Attachments

• Water Heater.JPG
    Water Heater.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 223
It is. that's how the original one was plumbed. Problem?

My current older house was also 1/2” copper to the water heater. I thought it was wierd and expected 3/4 to match the water heater and the flex lines. I replumbed the house and used 3/4 up to the manifolds including to and from the water heater.

I would keep an eye on those braided stainless lines in the future. We had one fail with a pinhole leak that we didn't discover for a couple of days. It sprayed water over all sorts of boxes, wine case, records, etc. and made an awful mess. Now I won't use them on the hw heater.

Reactions: tlc1976
I would keep an eye on those braided stainless lines in the future. We had one fail with a pinhole leak that we didn't discover for a couple of days. It sprayed water over all sorts of boxes, wine case, records, etc. and made an awful mess. Now I won't use them on the hw heater.

For sure, the stainless steel corrugated flex hoses are great.

For sure, the stainless steel corrugated flex hoses are great.
Yes, I went back to the corrugated type after that episode.

Yes, I went back to the corrugated type after that episode.
They don't look terribly expensive. Does anyone know if they come in longer than 18" lengths? The cold in is at the bottom of the heater and I put the connection up top, to make it easier to slide the heater in and out.

They don't look terribly expensive. Does anyone know if they come in longer than 18" lengths? The cold in is at the bottom of the heater and I put the connection up top, to make it easier to slide the heater in and out.
I have seen 24" lengths.

I have seen 24" lengths.
Thanks. I was able to find those, too. I'm going to have to extend the copper lines quite a bit to make a 24" hose work on either hot or cold side.

Rather than start new I'll ask here. Bradford White gas, no ignitor glow. Schematic shows a 24v xfmr so I'm assuming 24v to ignitor. Was getting maybe 9v. After several unpluggings the ignitor finally glowed and fired up. What happened?