Hottest fire yet 600 then 650

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
went 600 and took a picture and then to 650 and took another.At this temp the primary air still stopped the fire in it;s tracks.NICE!! I can put this whole flame out with the primary completely closed,even with the secondaries at full tilt.I'm happy with that.To keep this stove running as it should,the primary is run at 3/4 closed.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 398
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 422
Looking good! Wish I could shut down the stove by closing the primary air - I sometimes need to close the pipe damper to get the fire under control if I've let it run a little to hot after loading up - enjoy the warmth! Cheers!

I think you can officially say your stove is broken in and ready to rock n' roll.

When my stove is rockin' with secondaries like the ones in your picture, shutting down the primary air will slow down the fire, but it happens slowly. Kind of scary sometimes.

Wood Duck said:
When my stove is rockin' with secondaries like the ones in your picture, shutting down the primary air will slow down the fire, but it happens slowly. Kind of scary sometimes.

+1 on that Wood Duck! Cheers!

If a big charge of fresh wood is put on a too hot coal bed, there can be a whole lot of instant outgassing from the wood. That will give you a rocking good half hour or so of secondary conflagration. This may test the limits of your thermometer (and underwear). Before reloading, open up the air, rake the coals forward and let them burn down a bit first. Your laundry walla will thank you.

What is the height of the flue on your stove ozzy? Is this with large splits on a moderate coal bed?

Approx 12' from top of stove to cap. Medium sized slits on a moderate coal bed. Tested the door gasket with a piece of paper and i am not able to slide the paper out.
If I block off 2ndary intake with magnet, the primary air snuff’s the fire so i dont have air leakeage around the door.
Wood is seasoned 2+ years, poplar/maple.

Everything is under control until about 550 + with damper fully closed. 2ndary's take off strong and the next thing Im hitting 750+ on stove top ( gradually of course over 20 min ).

Well, the flue is not too tall in your case.

I know what you mean. I can get this to happen with the T6 if the coal bed is too hot. It's easy in these big fireboxes when you dump in 40 lbs of wood. My solution is to use large splits (7-9") and turn on the blower if she starts climbing over 700+. This drops the stove top temp pretty quickly by about 100F.

Status
Not open for further replies.