Hottest observed flue temps with a probe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm curious what the hottest flue temp someone has observed using a probe style thermometer? I'm talking from a standard woodstove. I look inside my firebox and wonder what kindof temps are heading up the pipe!

My probes only go up to 700 with a margin at the end that would be about 800. I have pegged them on start up fires.

As the wood settles in the stove top temp moves up and the flue temp moves down to pretty close to the same. I try to keep the internal temp 400 or over.

So far in the half a dozen or so fires I've had with my new stove, I've had my probe thermometer up to about 575deg.F with a moderate 4 log burn. The Condar 3-19 I believe goes up to 1200deg on the dial...

Jay

I have on one occasion seen mine at 900 deg. That is TOOO hot. 850 should be the absolute ceiling according to my sweep. No harm was done, do to MY stupidity, and that was the one and only time it has happened. I do keep the flue temps from 450 to 750/800 regularly.

With the old 602 I pegged the needle of the surface thermometer I used to have on the flue. That would be somewhere's north of 700. It's not the most comfortable feeling.

So far, with the new setup on the F400, the highest I've seen with the Condar 3-19 on the double-wall flue is a little over 600. Though now that I have the flue thermometer I have gotten much better at regulating the stove. Flue temps are now staying below 450 with the stove top temp about 100-150 higher. This is done by giving the fire a meager amount of primary air and letting it burn almost exclusively on secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.